010909GS3 Tree for ID

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 1, 2009, 3:48:00 PM9/1/09
to indiantreepix
Sending 010909GS3  a tree for ID

Growing in Sunder Nursery, Delhi

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi
India
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45
Tree-1-a.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Sep 1, 2009, 11:10:22 PM9/1/09
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
... could it be Polyscias scutellaria (syn. Crassula scutellaria, Nothopanax scutellarium, P. balfouriana, P. pinnata), commonly known as Balfour's aralia, fabian aralia, plum aralia, shield aralia ?
Regards.

santhosh kumar es

Sep 2, 2009, 12:38:56 AM9/2/09
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
It seems to me Stereospermum sp. Most probably S. colais of Bignoniaceae

Thanks

Dr Santhosh

2009/9/1 Gurcharan Singh <sin...@sify.com>
--
SANTHOSH
-----------------------------------

Dr. E S SANTHOSH KUMAR
Electro Saudi Services Ltd
Salwa Garden Village
Riyadh, KSA
Tel. Mob: 00966542749956,00966515193183
Tel. Office:0096614459300 extn 4051, 4027
Fax: 0096614459300 extn 4025
 Please consider your environmental responsibility:Before printing this e-mail, ask yourself whether you need a hard copy!

Kenneth Greby

Sep 2, 2009, 6:36:56 AM9/2/09
to indiantreepix, Gurcharan Singh
 Decidedly Bignoniaceae, likely a Markhamia species, quite possibly a rather toothy individual of M. lutea. This species is quite variable, and is now considered an umbrella species covering M. hidebrandtii, M. platycalyx, though I, for one, am not convinced of this...

Regards--
Ken Greby
Los Angeles, CA USA

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 2, 2009, 10:56:26 AM9/2/09
to Kenneth Greby, indiantreepix
I received three responses for my mail: Polyscias scutellaria by Dinesh Valke, Stereospermum colais by Santosh Kumar es, and Markhamia lutea by Kenneth Greby. I go for Markhamia lutea (Benth.) K. Schum., 1895 (Syn: Spathodea lutea Benth), a plant of tropical Africa known as SIALA in Uganda. Large stipules clinched the issue. I had collected this species from Herbal Garden Delhi earlier. I am uploading those photographs in flower and fruit.The plant is described in Trees of Delhi By Pradip Krishen.

Thanks Kenneth, Dinesh and Santosh.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi
India
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45
Markhamia-lutea-3.jpg
Markhamia-lutea-2.jpg
Markhamia-lutea-1.jpg

J.M. Garg

Sep 2, 2009, 12:12:19 PM9/2/09
to Gurcharan Singh, Kenneth Greby, indiantreepix
Hi, Singh ji.
I have photographed this in Hyderabad.
You can see it here:
Markhamia lutea Bignoniaceae T Markhamia, Siala  Flowering in Secunderabad, A.P. on 25/5/08; blooming in Pune Maharashtra at present in Sep 2008; http://zipcodezoo.com/Plants/M/Markhamia_lutea.asp Siala (Markhamia lutea) - indiantreepix | Google Groups Markhamia lutea - indiantreepix | Google Groups Markhamia lutea - Markhamia

2009/9/2 Gurcharan Singh <sin...@sify.com>
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Madhuri Pejaver

Sep 4, 2009, 10:56:18 AM9/4/09
to Kenneth Greby, indiantreepix, Gurcharan Singh
Not very sure but it also exists in Jijamata udyan. May be making a mistake but some vague rememberance---
Madhuri
See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out Yahoo! Buzz. http://in.buzz.yahoo.com/

Padmini Raghavan

Sep 4, 2009, 2:10:50 PM9/4/09
to Madhuri Pejaver, Kenneth Greby, indiantreepix, Gurcharan Singh
This looks like the pics I had posted a week or so ago, titled, "Yellow -Flowered Tree outside the British Council in Chennai."
Please do confirm.
I shall have to look out for the seed pods.

Thanks,
Padmini Raghavan.
Markhamia lutea.-1.jpg
Markhamia lutea-2..jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 4, 2009, 2:43:10 PM9/4/09
to Padmini Raghavan, Madhuri Pejaver, Kenneth Greby, indiantreepix
Padmani ji
You are right, it is indeed same plant

Satish Phadke

Sep 5, 2009, 5:32:00 AM9/5/09
to Gurcharan Singh, Padmini Raghavan, Madhuri Pejaver, Kenneth Greby, indiantreepix
Hi all
Padmini's plant appears to be Markhamia but Gurcharanjji's plant appears to be different as leaves have serrate or dentate margins.
Dr Phadke

2009/9/5 Gurcharan Singh <sin...@sify.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 5, 2009, 7:59:55 AM9/5/09
to Satish Phadke, Padmini Raghavan, Madhuri Pejaver, Kenneth Greby, indiantreepix
Markhamia lutea, I thought has toothed leaves and large stipules as distinctive features, both visible in my photographs.
2009/9/5 Gurcharan Singh <sin...@sify.com>

clear=all>
--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com