Crowned night heron colony

1 view

sibdas ghosh

Mar 31, 2009, 12:53:48 PM3/31/09
to indiantreepix, birdpho...@googlegroups.com
I am enclosing 3 pix of crowned night herons. This colony I followed
for a long time. It chose a very big Terminalia catappa tree for many
years , may be 6-7 years. Suddenly they changed the day time resting
place and opted for a near by Aswatha tree (Ficus religiosa). These
trees are not 100 ft. apart, and there is no adjoining water bodies to
feed them. I wondered why they shifted. One thing I noticed of course,
was that the surroundings beneath the the Terminalia tree became
completely white with the droppings of the nesting birds, and nothing
grew beneath. I suspect that this is perhaps a natural cycling
procedure in the Nature, so that the place surrounding the Terminalia
tree can regenerate once again. I would like to share the observations
and invite others' comment.
100_1037.JPG
100_1038.JPG
100_1040.JPG

Madhuri Pejaver

Apr 1, 2009, 3:14:01 AM4/1/09
to indiantreepix, birdpho...@googlegroups.com, sibdas ghosh

can it be for avoiding predators like snakes? because so much of excreta , white in colour can be visible during night time.
if i am not mistaken even bats change their roosting place after 4-5 years
madhuri

--- On Tue, 31/3/09, sibdas ghosh <sibda...@gmail.com> wrote:
Get rid of Add-Ons in your email ID. Get your...@rocketmail.com. Sign up now! http://in.promos.yahoo.com/address

sibdas

Apr 1, 2009, 1:11:51 PM4/1/09
to indiantreepix
It seems unlikely, as the old roosting plant was very tall with a
straight trunk, making it very difficult for snakes to reach their
nest.

On Apr 1, 12:14 pm, Madhuri Pejaver <formpeja...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> can it be for avoiding predators like snakes? because so much of excreta , white in colour can be visible during night time.
> if i am not mistaken even bats change their roosting place after 4-5 years
> madhuri
>
> --- On Tue, 31/3/09, sibdas ghosh <sibdasgh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>       Get rid of Add-Ons in your email ID. Get yourn...@rocketmail.com. Sign up now!http://in.promos.yahoo.com/address- Hide quoted text -

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Apr 4, 2009, 10:56:12 AM4/4/09
to sibdas, indiantreepix
That reminds of my days at Bastar in the eaarly ninetis of the last(!) century. I often used to spend nights at Kondagaon rest house which I thnk is about 70 km fromJagdalpur, the district and divisional headquarters.. The first night I stayed there I heard a lot of bird noise. I wondered which bird could be. In the morning I realised that it was bats and not birds who were making the screeching noise throughout the night.  The tiles of the rest house had become almost white with the droppings, and it stank also. There was a fig tree also I forget which one. Probably begalensis.
Incidentally it is said thaat Bastar is place where the tribals eat everything that moves on the ground or flies in the sky. There are very few birds and evenn lesser wild animals, in spite of having a number of national parks and sanctuaries. But for tree lovers it is a paradise. Shorea robusta groves which are considered sacred and therefore they are intact is a delight to be under the shade of trees some of them wold be touching a century.
It is unfortunate that Bastar has fallen into bad days, with the Maoists from the Andhra having made life difficult for everybody.
akbhatt
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road