Wild flowers- Kolkata

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Sep 19, 2010, 3:04:14 PM9/19/10
to efloraofindia
Hi
visited the outskirts of Kolkata today for taking pics of wild flowers especially the Kaash flowers that bloom during this time of the year.
can someone help with the ID of this wild flower?

regards
Shantanu  :)

wild flower.jpg
wild flower2.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 19, 2010, 3:05:30 PM9/19/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Tridax procumbens
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Pankaj Oudhia

Sep 19, 2010, 3:05:47 PM9/19/10
to efloraofindia
Looks like Tridax procumbens.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Sep 19, 2010, 3:12:54 PM9/19/10
to Smita Raskar, efloraofindia
Thanks for the ID....

regards
Shantanu : )

On 9/20/10, Smita Raskar <smita....@gmail.com> wrote:
Its Tridax procumbens Family Asteraceae

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 12:34 AM, Shantanu Bhattacharya <shn...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Smita raskar
308 Disha Residency,

tanay bose

Sep 19, 2010, 8:27:32 PM9/19/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, Smita Raskar, efloraofindia
Tridax procumbers a weed in kolkata
tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

mani nair

Sep 20, 2010, 6:30:49 AM9/20/10
to tanay bose, Shantanu Bhattacharya, Smita Raskar, efloraofindia
Tridax procumbers -  These are the favorites of butterflies.

Regards,

Mani.

Dr. Arvind Kadus

Sep 20, 2010, 9:46:17 AM9/20/10
to efloraofindia
In Marathi it is called as 'Dagadi Paala', It is having wound healing
properties. Vary nice results, We can make creams or ointments from
the juice of the leaves of this plant.Can be used safely to burn
wounds also. It is a traditional medicine of Maharashtra.
Regards,
Dr.Kadus Arvind,Pune.

On Sep 20, 3:30 pm, mani nair <mani.na...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tridax procumbers -  These are the favorites of butterflies.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mani.
>

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 5:57 AM, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Tridax procumbers a weed in kolkata
> > tanay
>
> > On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 12:42 AM, Shantanu Bhattacharya <shnt...@gmail.com
> > > wrote:
>
> >> Thanks for the ID....
>
> >> regards
> >> Shantanu : )

> > --
> > *Tanay Bose*
> > Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> > Department of Botany.
> > University of British Columbia .
> > 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> > Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> > Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
> >             604-822-2019 (Lab)
> > ta...@interchange.ubc.ca- Hide quoted text -

nabha meghani

Sep 20, 2010, 12:34:25 PM9/20/10
to Dr. Arvind Kadus, efloraofindia
Is it the same as Banduuk? I think we children played banduuk with this
flower.
Regards
Nalini

Dr. Arvind Kadus

Sep 20, 2010, 12:38:34 PM9/20/10
to efloraofindia, nabha-...@gmx.de
Yes it is used to play by children to hit some body with flowers,
holding flower in one hand and hiting by the finger of other hand. It
hits like a bullet. Thats why may be called as Banduk.
Dr.Kadus Arvind.

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Sep 20, 2010, 3:28:31 PM9/20/10
to mani nair, tanay bose, Smita Raskar, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot to Tanay, Mani ji and Usha ji...for the interesting info on Tridax.

regards
Shantanu : )

Shantanu

Sep 20, 2010, 3:34:39 PM9/20/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks to Nalini ji and Arvind ji as well...for the info on medicinal
importance of Tridax procumbers, and the origin of the name "bandook".

its surprising that such a small weed can also be used as medicine.

wild plants and weeds are indeed wonderful.

regards
Shantanu : )

On Sep 21, 12:28 am, Shantanu Bhattacharya <shnt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks a lot to Tanay, Mani ji and Usha ji...for the interesting info on
> Tridax.
>
> regards
> Shantanu : )
>
> On 9/20/10, mani nair <mani.na...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Tridax procumbers -  These are the favorites of butterflies.
>
> > Regards,
>
> > Mani.
>
> > On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 5:57 AM, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Tridax procumbers a weed in kolkata
> >> tanay

> >> --
> >> *Tanay Bose*
> >> Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> >> Department of Botany.
> >> University of British Columbia .
> >> 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> >> Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> >> Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
> >>             604-822-2019 (Lab)

Pankaj Oudhia

Sep 20, 2010, 3:35:50 PM9/20/10
to efloraofindia
It is not good approach Shantanu ji. Both Pankaj were the first in replying your mail with correct identification. And you are giving thanks to late commers!!!!!  and Ignoring us!!!!

Ye achhi baat nahi hai. :)

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 20, 2010, 3:38:42 PM9/20/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Dont worry sir, I dont think either of us are here for appreciations.
We love plants and we love checking plants from all over India free of
cost, that too sitting in our drawing rooms....hehehe :)
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Oudhia

Sep 20, 2010, 3:42:45 PM9/20/10
to efloraofindia
Agreed. Jo de uska bhi bhala, Jo na de uska bhi bhala. We will continue -----

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 20, 2010, 3:44:27 PM9/20/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Absolutely right !!!
Pankaj

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Sep 20, 2010, 4:03:27 PM9/20/10
to efloraofindia
This is very strange, but on second thought, I never imagined this
plant as a weed. This is not an invasive either, just grows on the
disturbed areas may be on the edges of crop fields (not even among
crops) and secondly it is known to have great medicinal use....there
is a big list of it. One odd thing that may be irritating are the
seeds, the white hairs which are meant for air dispersal and may not
be good for those who are allergic or have asthmatic problems.
In other countries like US they may be invasive, but not in India as
far as I can see.

Regards
Pankaj

nabha meghani

Sep 20, 2010, 4:46:58 PM9/20/10
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
I remember one thing from my childhood. People used to say one can eat even
glas with 'Dagadi Paala' and it doesn't hert you. Just rememberd this
another strange thing, while reading Pankaj Kumar jis mail.
Regards
Nalini