For Id- 011109Ch1

J.M. Garg

Nov 1, 2009, 1:52:46 AM11/1/09
to indiantreepix
Re-posting separately with one plant per mail.
"Hi,
Can someone please help identify the following?
The first three were seen in the Adyar Poonga and the last two at the
PWD park in Kotturpuram, Chennai.
The last two picture are the same plant. I thought it resembled
Datura, but am not sure.
Thanks
Chithra"
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

IMG_0072.JPG
IMG_0073.JPG

Pravin Kawale

Nov 1, 2009, 6:59:18 AM11/1/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Hi,
It is Rauvolfia tetraphylla
Common at coastal swamp
Thanks
--
Pravin

Dr Santhosh Kumar

Nov 1, 2009, 8:49:45 AM11/1/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Rauvolfia tetraphylla

Santhosh

2009/11/1 J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com>
Thiruvananthapuram-695562
Kerala
India
www.drsanthosh.wetpaint.com

J.M. Garg

Nov 4, 2009, 9:03:50 AM11/4/09
to Dr Santhosh Kumar, indiantreepix, Mahendra Prasad
A reply from Mahandra Prasad ji:
"This appears to be Rauvolfia tetraphylla, from same genus as Rauvolfia serpentina  ( Sarpagandha ), family Apocynaceae.  The fruits are green at 1st, later turning red and finally black.  Fruit diameter 5 - 7 mm. I  am attaching a pix of this plant that was growing in my house at Kolkata.  "

2009/11/1 Dr Santhosh Kumar <drsanth...@gmail.com>
P1080702.JPG

Dinesh Valke

Nov 4, 2009, 9:43:45 AM11/4/09
to J.M. Garg, Dr Santhosh Kumar, indiantreepix, Mahendra Prasad

Rauvolfia tetraphylla ... native to tropical Americas ... commonly known as: American serpentwood, be still tree, devil root, four-leaved devil-pepper, milkbush • Bengali: বড চন্দ্রিকা bar chandrika, গন্ধনকুলী gandhanakuli • Hindi: बडा चन्द्रिका barachandrika • Kannada: ದೊಡ್ಡ ಚಮ್ದ್ರಿಕೆ dodda chandrike • Oriya: patalagarudi • Telugu: papataku

The genus name Rauvolfia is also spelt as Rauwolfia.

Hoping earnestly Swagat ji to provide the Marathi name !!

Regards.

Mahendra Prasad

Nov 4, 2009, 10:25:21 AM11/4/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, : Chithra V