Cashew

sibdas ghosh

Apr 3, 2009, 2:06:20 PM4/3/09
to indiantreepix
Anacardium occidentale in flower and young nuts. Prantik, March 17,09
100_1021.JPG
100_1020.JPG

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Apr 3, 2009, 2:18:16 PM4/3/09
to sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
I had earlier thought that cashew fenny is made from cashew nut. It was when I went to a cashew garden that I realised that it is the fruit which makes the liquor. Cashew fruit juice is sweet and a little bitter, though on the whole tasty.
akbhatt

--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Dinesh Valke

Apr 3, 2009, 11:38:44 PM4/3/09
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
... scientifically the cashew nut is its fruit, and what is normally mistaken for fruit (the cashew apple) is the swollen stem ... http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/anacardium_occidentale.htm
Any more examples of pseudofruit ?
Regards.

sibdas ghosh

Apr 4, 2009, 5:06:30 AM4/4/09
to Dinesh Valke, Anand Kumar Bhatt, indiantreepix
Yes, fenny is made from Cashew apple, not nut. Cashew apple is called a pseudo fruit, as the fruit does not fully develop from ovary tissue, but partly from the thalamus. another good example of pseudo fruit is Ananas. Pomes like apple, pear are also comparable to pseudo fruits, but the core develops from the ovary, so known as accessory fruits.The fig is an aggregate complex pseudofruit, known as syconium.

Madhuri Pejaver

Apr 4, 2009, 7:02:39 AM4/4/09
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Dinesh Valke, sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix

apple itself is a psuedocarp.
in both cashew and apple the thalamus gets swollen and store food.
in apple only the central portion with seeds is fruit
madhuri

--- On Sat, 4/4/09, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Get an email ID as your...@ymail.com or your...@rocketmail.com. Click here http://in.promos.yahoo.com/address

Dinesh Valke

Apr 4, 2009, 7:50:46 AM4/4/09
to Madhuri Pejaver, Anand Kumar Bhatt, sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
Many thanks: Sibdas ji and Madhuri ji ... enlightening :)
Regards.