Bignoniaceae Week: Chilopsis linearis from California

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 8, 2013, 2:03:13 PM1/8/13
to efloraofindia
Thanks Ushadi for prompting me to look for this in my database after your upload. Good I found it.

Chilopsis linearis (Cav.) Sweet, Hort. brit. ed. 1:283. 1826
Syn: Bignonia linearis Cav.;  Chilopsis saligna D. Don

Common names: Desert-willow, flowering-willow

Shrub or low deciduous tree up to 6 m tall with slender branches; leaves linear to narrow-lanceolate, 15-30 cm long; flowers in short terminal raceme; corolla 3-5 cm long, lobes crimpled, tube and throat lilac with 2 yellow stripes inside; pod 15-30 cm long, 5-7 mm broad.

Photographed from California

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 8, 2013, 4:57:06 PM1/8/13
to efloraofindia
Thanks Vijayasankar ji for pointing out. Here are the photographs

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
Chilopsis-linearis-DSC01931-California-1.jpg
Chilopsis-linearis-DSC01932-california-2.jpg
Chilopsis-linearis-DSC01933-california-3.jpg

Ushadi Micromini

Jan 9, 2013, 4:01:35 AM1/9/13
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Gurcharanji:

Very nice to see you have close ups of the flowers and even the pods

My older pics are on film and I cant put my hands on them at this point...
I had stayed around by some of these trees ( for a few days in the 90s) and photographed a lot of the pollinators that came...   I wish I could find them, even if just to look at myself!!

Usha di

Usha di
===========

Balkar Singh

Jan 10, 2013, 5:19:56 AM1/10/13
to Ushadi Micromini, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Vow what a lovely Set Sir

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Head, Deptt. of Botany and Biotechnology &
Horticulture Incharge
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964