Re: Passiflora foetida VS Passiflora vesicaria

J.M. Garg

Feb 17, 2023, 12:44:37 AM2/17/23
to Dinesh Valke, Tabish Qureshi, efloraofindia
Thanks, Dinesh ji.
As per this publication (Curtis’s Botanical Magazine 2013 vol. 30 (4): pp. 318–387: Summary: Revision of Passiflora subgenus Passiflora section Dysosmia DC. (Passifloraceae). The twenty one species and 10 varieties (31 taxa) comprising subgenus Passiflora section Dysosmia DC are described and some are illustrated with photographs and line drawings. Two species, Passiflora vesicaria L. and Passiflora ciliata (Dryand) Mast., are removed from synonymy and reinstated to species rank. Passiflora baraquiniana Lemaire is removed from synonymy and given varietal status. The species Passiflora santiagana (Killip) Borhidi is reduced in rank to varietal status. Of the 38 varieties of Passiflora foetida L. described by E. P. Killip in his 1938 monograph, 28 are reduced to synonymy, four are reassigned as varieties of other species and four remain as varieties of P. foetida. A new variety, Passiflora foetida var. ellisonii Vanderplank, is described with photographs and line drawings.), only Passiflora foetida var. ellisonii Vanderplank is being shown as having distribution in India.

So it better to go for Passiflora foetida var. ellisonii Vanderplank. for Indian Plants.

On Fri, 17 Feb 2023 at 10:57, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Garg ji and Tabish,
Sharing with you the attached document, only for your personal reference.
Not sure of the impact it has on all the observations of P. foetida that we already have.
Regards.
Dinesh

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Dinesh Valke

Feb 17, 2023, 12:57:24 AM2/17/23
to J.M. Garg, Tabish Qureshi, efloraofindia
Thanks Garg ji.
Regards.
Dinesh

Tabish

Feb 17, 2023, 3:51:18 AM2/17/23
to J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Thanks Dinesh for pointing out this resource. It certainly has bearing on the observations of what is considered Passiflora foetida in India. The specimens I have come across, all have corona filaments which are white with lower 1/3 to 1/2 pink or mauve, and the 3-lobed leaves have side lobes blunt or rounded. This agrees best with Passiflora vesicaria L. var. vesicaria which has distribution in India.
Passiflora foetida var. ellisonii, as Garg ji pointed out, also has distribution in India. Specimens with almost pure white corona filaments should belong to this subspecies.
    Cheers!
    Tabish
www.flowersofindia.net
The waterhole of flower lovers

J.M. Garg

Feb 17, 2023, 4:40:10 AM2/17/23
to Tabish, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Publication does not specifically mention distribution in India for this (Passiflora vesicaria L. var. vesicaria), but says:
Distribution. Amazonian basin of Brazil, Peru, Colombia, Venezuela, Guyana, Surinam, French Guiana: Ecuador, Bolivia, Costa Rica, Bahamas, Barbados, St. Kitts, Jamaica, Dominica, Trinidad and Tobago, Perto Rico,
Galapagos Islands and now found in many Old World tropical countries and islands.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Tabish

Feb 17, 2023, 4:49:05 AM2/17/23
to eFloraofIndia
India is the major "Old World" tropical country
  Tabish

Tabish

Feb 17, 2023, 5:19:16 AM2/17/23
to J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Nidhan ji observation from Panipat
in my opinion, should belong to Passiflora foetida var. ellisonii.
And Prashant's observation
should belong to Passiflora vesicaria L. var. vesicaria.
   Tabish
www.flowersofindia.net
The waterhole of flower lovers

Dinesh Valke

Feb 17, 2023, 5:42:50 AM2/17/23
to Tabish, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Many thanks Tabish for your thoughts.
Similar views are expressed in my post at facebook too.

This observation was suggested to be Passiflora vesicaria L. var. vesicaria by Martin Wettges in iNaturalist.

Since there were no thoughts forthcoming I changed my mind to retain the ID of P. foetida.

Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Feb 19, 2023, 2:33:17 AM2/19/23
to Dinesh Valke, Tabish, efloraofindia
My feeling is that as POWO 1 and POWO 2 and CoL are still not updating their databases despite POWO mentioning it in its references, we may keep our observations as Passiflora foetida only for the time being.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg