Aristolochia flower adapting to the pollinator - sp?

shubhada nikharge

Jul 13, 2009, 12:51:04 PM7/13/09
to indian tree pix
Hi,
i am forwarding Dr. Usha's mail to this group along with my pics of Aristolochia flowers.
pics were taken at Maharashtra Nature Park, Mahim, Mumbai.
cheers,
shubhada

Jul 13, 2009, 12:58:45 PM7/13/09
to shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Shubhada ji, I have two photos of what I believe as Aristolochia ringenshttp://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Aristolochia&w=91314344%40N00
(I found the plant at the restaurant, Kshanbhar Vishranti, Panvel).
A coined name in Marathi is badak vel, बदक वेल.

Regards.

satish pardeshi

Jul 14, 2009, 11:24:08 AM7/14/09
to indiantreepix
Hello all
it is
Aristolochia ringens Vahl, Symb. Bot. 3: 99, 1794; Singh et al. Fl.
Mah. 2: 816, 2001; Almeida, Fl. Mah. 4: 242, 2003.
Common name: Popat-vel.
commonly grown as ornamental.

regards
Satish Pardeshi

On Jul 13, 9:58 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Shubhada ji, I have two photos of what I believe as *Aristolochia ringens*:http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Aristolochia&w=91314344%40N00
> (I found the plant at the restaurant, Kshanbhar Vishranti, Panvel).
> A coined name in Marathi is *badak vel*, बदक वेल.
>
> Regards.
>
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 10:21 PM, shubhada nikharge <
>

> shubhada_nikha...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> >  Hi,
> > i am forwarding Dr. Usha's mail to this group along with my pics of
> > Aristolochia flowers.
> > pics were taken at Maharashtra Nature Park, Mahim, Mumbai.
> > cheers,
> > shubhada

Swagat

Jul 20, 2009, 9:07:06 AM7/20/09
to satish pardeshi, shubhada...@yahoo.co.in, dinesh...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
Dear all,

Satishji is right... 'Aristolochia ringens' is called 'पोपटवेल' 'Popat vel' in Marathi.

Other 'Arustikichia' species...
'Aristolochia indica' is called 'Saapsan' ' सापसण' in Marathi and 'ईश्‍वरी' 'Ishwari', 'रुद्रजटा' 'Rudrajata', 'ईश्‍वरमूल' 'Ishwarmul' in Sanskrit and 'Indian Birthwort' in English

'Aristolochia bracteata' is called 'Keedamari' 'कीडामारी' in Marathi and 'कीटमारी' 'Keetmari', 'धूम्रपत्रा' 'Dhoomrpatra', 'पानिरी' 'Paniri' in Sanskrit and 'Birthwort' in English.

Regards,
~Swagat
9223217568

Dinesh Valke

Jul 20, 2009, 9:19:05 AM7/20/09
to Swagat, indiantreepix
... thank you very much for the names, Swagat ji ... what does Arustikichia mean ? ... is it some kind of vernacular version of the genus' name ?
Regards.

Swagat

Jul 21, 2009, 2:55:42 AM7/21/09
to indiantreepix, Dinesh Valke
Oophs... sorry!!! It's my mistake... it should be 'Aristolochia' and not the 'Arustikichia'
Thanks Dineshji!!!

~Swagat
9223217568

2009/7/20, shubhada nikharge <shubhada...@yahoo.co.in>:
Hi Swagat ji,
thanx very much for the info.
shubhada

See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out Yahoo! Buzz.