Plant for ID SMP 2 Oct 2010

Satish Phadke

Oct 5, 2010, 10:36:55 AM10/5/10
to indiantreepix
A tiny herb.On open wild grassland
May be from Rubiaceae.
I think the plant is similar to one posted by Dinesh ji recently.

Date/Time-

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-

Pune  Kothrud

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

Wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-

Annual herb

Height/Length-

2-3inches

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

Linear Opposite. Stem ?terete

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Axillary and terminal

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

1-2mm White with slight purple tinge. Calyx green linear-lanceolate.4

Petals 4.Bracts+

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

One seen in the picture

DSCN9928s.jpg
DSCN9925s.jpg
DSCN9927s.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 5, 2010, 10:41:23 AM10/5/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
I think Oldenlandia corymbosa

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

shrikant ingalhalikar

Oct 5, 2010, 11:05:11 AM10/5/10
to efloraofindia
Yes, I agree with Singh ji. Note top of the capsule is flat and not
rounded, protruding (as in O. herbacea). Regards, Shrikant

On Oct 5, 7:41 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think Oldenlandia corymbosa
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>

> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 7:36 AM, Satish Phadke <drsmpha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > A tiny herb.On open wild grassland
> > May be from Rubiaceae.
> > I think the plant is similar to one posted by Dinesh ji recently.
>
> > *Date/Time-*
>
> > * *
>
> > *2 Oct 2010*
>
> > *Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- *
>
> > * *
>
> > *Pune  Kothrud*
>
> > *Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-*
>
> > * *
>
> > *Wild*
>
> > *Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-  *
>
> > * *
>
> > *Annual herb*
>
> > *Height/Length- *
>
> > * *
>
> > *2-3inches*
>
> > *Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- *
>
> > * *
>
> > *Linear Opposite. Stem ?terete*
>
> > *Inflorescence Type/ Size- *
>
> > * *
>
> > *Axillary and terminal*
>
> > *Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-*
>
> > * *
>
> > *1-2mm White with slight purple tinge. Calyx green linear-lanceolate.4*
>
> > *Petals 4.Bracts+*
>
> > *Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-*
>
> > * *
>
> > *One seen in the picture*
>
> > *Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.-*

Satish Phadke

Oct 5, 2010, 11:15:51 AM10/5/10
to indiantreepix
Thanks Gurcharan ji and Shrikant ji
I was searching the key for Hedyotis for differentiating between H.herbacea and H.corymbosa
The features seen here..............
Flowers pedicelled, usually in pairs or threes.
Capsule globose crown flat (as against protruding in H. herbacea) clearly indicate it to be
Hedyotis corymbosa / Oldenlandia corymbosa.
Dinesh ji waiting for your comments.
Bye the way what would be the recent correct name of the genus.
For that matter which is the official or new list of botanical names to be followed for the name of any species ------GRIN?
Regards
Dr Phadke

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 5, 2010, 11:38:02 AM10/5/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Satish ji
I think we have decided to follow in order of preference:

1. Kew World checklist, for genera which are covered
2. Sorting Plant Names of M. M. P. N. D, for genera covered
3. GRIN for the taxa which are covered therein
4. Latest Flora or Monograph

Kew World Checklist recognises Oldenlandia corymbosa and O. herbacea as accepted names and Hedyotis corymbosa and H. herbacea as synonyms, respectively.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Oct 5, 2010, 11:58:16 AM10/5/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Oldenlandia corymbosa for me this plant is a weed in West Bengal.
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 5, 2010, 12:00:51 PM10/5/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Thanks a lot for this M. M. P. N. D. thing. I wasnt aware of it. I dont know when this was decided, but I am happy it was.....
Yeah, ID is correct for sure....
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate