24032011 Pj 5 Id confirmation

PUTTARAJU K

Mar 24, 2011, 1:04:43 PM3/24/11
to indiantreepix
Dear All,

Pl find attached penisetum setosum, Id conformation requested.
--
With Regards,
PUTTARAJU K,

DSCN0221.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 22, 2011, 5:17:51 AM4/22/11
to PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
Puttaraju ji
Kindly mention habitat. P. setosum is usually cultivated, taller with longer and thicker spikes.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

J.M. Garg

Aug 10, 2011, 3:21:19 AM8/10/11
to efloraofindia, PUTTARAJU K, Gurcharan Singh, crazyg...@gmail.com, tanvee...@gmail.com, pch...@gmail.com, ravig...@rediffmail.com, mug...@gmail.com, nirbh...@rediffmail.com

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Kindly mention habitat. P. setosum is usually cultivated, taller with longer and thicker spikes.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh”

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1680 members & 75,000 messages on 31/7/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5000 species)

DSCN0221.JPG

PUTTARAJU K

Aug 10, 2011, 12:23:05 PM8/10/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, crazyg...@gmail.com, tanvee...@gmail.com, pch...@gmail.com, ravig...@rediffmail.com, mug...@gmail.com, nirbh...@rediffmail.com
Dr.Gurucharan Ji,

Its on the bank of a pond in kaiga & water lasts throughout the year.Sorry for the late reply.

Regards
Puttaraju

H S

Aug 11, 2011, 2:20:24 AM8/11/11
to PUTTARAJU K, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, crazyg...@gmail.com, tanvee...@gmail.com, pch...@gmail.com, ravig...@rediffmail.com, mug...@gmail.com, nirbh...@rediffmail.com
Please also check with P. orientalis??

regards,
--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

J.M. Garg

Nov 7, 2011, 6:13:13 AM11/7/11
to efloraofindia, crazyg...@gmail.com, tanvee...@gmail.com, pch...@gmail.com, ravig...@rediffmail.com, mug...@gmail.com, nirbh...@rediffmail.com, Shrirang Ramchandra Yadav, PUTTARAJU K, H S, Gurcharan Singh
Some earlier relevant feedback:
“Kindly mention habitat. P. setosum is usually cultivated, taller with longer and thicker spikes.
--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh”

"Its on the bank of a pond in kaiga & water lasts throughout the year.Sorry for the late reply.

Regards
Puttaraju"

"Please also check with P. orientalis??" from HS ji.

Nov 7, 2011, 7:15:07 AM11/7/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, crazyg...@gmail.com, tanvee...@gmail.com, pch...@gmail.com, ravig...@rediffmail.com, mug...@gmail.com, nirbh...@rediffmail.com, Shrirang Ramchandra Yadav, PUTTARAJU K, Gurcharan Singh
yes its Pennisetum orientalis, check description in cooke's flora

regards,

J.M. Garg

Nov 7, 2011, 11:48:14 PM11/7/11
to efloraofindia, crazyg...@gmail.com, tanvee...@gmail.com, pch...@gmail.com, ravig...@rediffmail.com, mug...@gmail.com, nirbh...@rediffmail.com, Shrirang Ramchandra Yadav, PUTTARAJU K, H S, Gurcharan Singh
A reply:
"DEar taxonomists,

The picture  (grass) looks like P. purpureum - a common fodder grass often found as a feild escape. But confirmation is a must by disecting the spikelets. However, I am sure that was not P. orientalis which is usually grown as a ornamental garden grass.
Dr. P. Ravichandran"

Thanks, Dr. Ravichandran.

J.M. Garg

Nov 7, 2011, 11:50:12 PM11/7/11
to efloraofindia, crazyg...@gmail.com, tanvee...@gmail.com, pch...@gmail.com, ravig...@rediffmail.com, mug...@gmail.com, nirbh...@rediffmail.com, Shrirang Ramchandra Yadav, PUTTARAJU K, H S, Gurcharan Singh
A reply from Nirbhay ji:
"Pennisetum pedicellatum Trin."

Thanks, Nirbhay ji.

J.M. Garg

Nov 8, 2011, 6:49:39 AM11/8/11
to efloraofindia, crazyg...@gmail.com, tanvee...@gmail.com, pch...@gmail.com, ravig...@rediffmail.com, mug...@gmail.com, nirbh...@rediffmail.com, Shrirang Ramchandra Yadav, PUTTARAJU K, H S, Gurcharan Singh
A reply:
"Dear members
i also go with Nirbhay ji

pennisetum pedicellatum

--
regards
Dr.Anil Kumar"

H S

Nov 9, 2011, 3:40:46 AM11/9/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, crazyg...@gmail.com, tanvee...@gmail.com, pch...@gmail.com, ravig...@rediffmail.com, mug...@gmail.com, nirbh...@rediffmail.com, Shrirang Ramchandra Yadav, PUTTARAJU K, Gurcharan Singh
i still go with P. orientale and not Pennisetum purpureum which is quite tall grass

regards,

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 9, 2011, 4:39:46 AM11/9/11
to H S, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, crazyg...@gmail.com, tanvee...@gmail.com, pch...@gmail.com, ravig...@rediffmail.com, mug...@gmail.com, nirbh...@rediffmail.com, Shrirang Ramchandra Yadav, PUTTARAJU K
I agree with H S that it can't be P. purpureum which is a much taller grass with much broader leaves and dense inflorescence
.

It is also not P. setaceum a South African grass with dense spike and stiffer short bristles, often cultivated in gardens.

Pennisetum pedicellatum and P. orientale are closely similar but the spikelets in P. orientale are much separated, rachis hairy and bristles much longer and plumose.

I am also attaching my photograph of P. orientale from Kashmir and P. setaceum from California for comparison

The more denser arrangement of spikelets and shorter bristles suggests P. pedicellatum for above plant as indicated by Nirbay ji and Anil ji, out expert on grasses.

You may please compare above and give your opinion

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum'-DSC08328.JPG
Pennisetum-orientale-Kashmir-a.jpg

H S

Nov 9, 2011, 4:49:46 AM11/9/11
to Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, crazyg...@gmail.com, tanvee...@gmail.com, pch...@gmail.com, ravig...@rediffmail.com, mug...@gmail.com, nirbh...@rediffmail.com, Shrirang Ramchandra Yadav, PUTTARAJU K
sirji your photo of P. orientale look quite different,, very interesting

regards,

Hemanth

Nov 9, 2011, 5:45:18 AM11/9/11
to efloraofindia
I feel this is pennisetum pedicellatum

On Nov 9, 2:49 pm, H S <hemsan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> sirji your photo of P. orientale look quite different,, very interesting
>
> regards,
>

> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I agree with H S that it can't be P. purpureum which is a much taller
> > grass with much broader leaves and dense inflorescence
> > .
>
> >http://www.moa.gov.jm/img/Pennisetum%20purpureum.JPG
>
> >http://www.google.co.in/imgres?q=Pennisetum+purpureum&um=1&hl=en&biw=...
>
> > It is also not P. setaceum a South African grass with dense spike and
> > stiffer short bristles, often cultivated in gardens.
>
> >http://www.californiagardens.com/Plant_Pages/pennisetum_setaceum_rubr...
>
> > Pennisetum pedicellatum and P. orientale are closely similar but the
> > spikelets in P. orientale are much separated, rachis hairy and bristles
> > much longer and plumose.
>
> >http://www.calfloranursery.com/images/pics/p/pennisetum_orientale.jpg
>
> > I am also attaching my photograph of P. orientale from Kashmir and P.
> > setaceum from California for comparison
>
> > The more denser arrangement of spikelets and shorter bristles suggests P.
> > pedicellatum for above plant as indicated by Nirbay ji and Anil ji, out
> > expert on grasses.
>
> >http://fleurs.cirad.fr/fleurs_d_afrique_tropicale/p/pennisetum_pedice...
>
> > You may please compare above and give your opinion
>
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> > On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 2:10 PM, H S <hemsan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> i still go with P. orientale and not Pennisetum purpureum which is quite
> >> tall grass
>
> >> regards,

JM Garg

Mar 23, 2024, 7:33:05 AMMar 23