Black Taro (Colocasia esculenta 'Fontanesii' )

Suresh C. Sharma

May 14, 2009, 10:46:32 AM5/14/09
to indiantreepix, Tabish
Colocasia esculenta 'Fontanesii'

Black Taro
Sonepat, Haryana, 14th May 2009.

On the southern bank of Western Yamuna Canal.

Attention ladies please - leaves, stems and tubers of this plant are also cooked and eatern though I have no experience.

Here is a link to this plant :

Regards,
Suresh C. Sharma

Suresh C. Sharma

May 14, 2009, 10:50:21 AM5/14/09
to indiantreepix
Sorry, forgot to upload the pix.
Picture-051.jpg
Picture-053.jpg

purnim...@priyaentertainments.com

May 14, 2009, 9:45:20 PM5/14/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

You are right Suresh ji - it is as delicious as the Creeping palak if
not more. It grows extensively in Bengal (Sushmita can kindly confirm)
and known as KOCHUR SAAG. Mostly found in monsoon - grows well around
water-bodies.

Quoting "Suresh C. Sharma" <bush...@gmail.com>:

> Sorry, forgot to upload the pix.
>

> *Colocasia esculenta 'Fontanesii'*
> **

ranjini kamath

May 14, 2009, 11:46:15 PM5/14/09
to indiatreepix
Meant for indiantreepix family too!

Yes!! A great favourite with Mangaloreans [once again!]-delicacy
called 'Patrado' & with Gujaratis-Patrel.Out of season,the leaves can
be horribly scratchy tho'
 Ranjini Kamath

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 8:20 PM, Suresh C. Sharma <bush...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, forgot to upload the pix.
>
> Colocasia esculenta 'Fontanesii'
>
> Black Taro
> Sonepat, Haryana, 14th May 2009.
>
> On the southern bank of Western Yamuna Canal.
>
> Attention ladies please - leaves, stems and tubers of this plant are also
> cooked and eatern though I have no experience.
>

> Regards,
> Suresh C. Sharma

Ulhas

May 15, 2009, 1:02:26 AM5/15/09
to indiantreepix
Hi

It is true these plants are edible and have delicious recipes.

However, be careful! These plants are toxic and require
detoxification before / while cooking them. There are different
methods adopted, mainly treating them with Tamarind (tamarindus
indica) or with Kokam (Garcinia indica). That adds wonderful taste to
these vegetables also.

This is true for many other wild plant vegetables. Best way to learn
about them is through ethnic / tribal communities 'living' in / with
the forests.

Best wishes

Ulhas Rane