Nothopegia castaneifolia

Rajesh Sachdev

Mar 15, 2009, 1:29:21 PM3/15/09
to indiantreepix, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com, wild mumbai
In Marathi it is famous as Amberi, I wonder which family it belongs
to, and does it have a common english name as well. in. Shot this at
Silonda Trail , Sanjay Gandhi National Park in last week.
--
Regards
Rajesh Sachdev

Pravin Kawale

Mar 16, 2009, 2:20:44 AM3/16/09
to Rajesh Sachdev, indiantreepix, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com, wild mumbai
Hi,
It is from Anacardiaceae
Thanks
--
Pravin

Tabish

Mar 17, 2009, 5:10:46 AM3/17/09
to indiantreepix
This looks like Chironji Tree (Buchanania lanzan). More info here:
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Chironji%20Tree.html
Cheers!
- Tabish

On Mar 16, 11:20 am, Pravin Kawale <kawale.pra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> It is from  Anacardiaceae
> Thanks

Rajesh Sachdev

Mar 17, 2009, 6:20:36 AM3/17/09
to indiantreepix
Hi Tabish,
So isn't it Nothopegia castaneifolia. I wonder, the same one in flowers of sahyadri looks like exactly same.
Kindly throw some light. Dinesh kind share some info, sice the link mentioned by tabish was updated by you on flowers of india.net

Swapna Prabhu

Mar 17, 2009, 7:58:01 AM3/17/09
to Rajesh Sachdev, treepix Indian
Dear Rajesh,

It is Buchanania lanzan as mentioned by Tabish. Nothopegia will have tetramerous flowers - 4 calyx lobes and 4 stamens. B. cochinchinensis (Syn. B. lanzan) mostly shows pentamerous flowers- 5 petals and 10 stamens - clearly seen in both the photographs (provided by you as well as Dinesh) .

Cheers,

Swapna.
--
Dr. Swapna Prabhu