[efloraofindia:35334] For Id help. 190510PR-1

Padmini Raghavan

May 19, 2010, 2:13:11 PM5/19/10
to indiantreepix
This is a weed which covered the flower- bed with its tiny leaves and flowers. When the sun went behind a cloud (at 3pm) the flowers had closed.
Chennai- May 18th 2010.
 Please help with its id.
Thanks,
Padmini Raghavan.

Bang.+Hog Plum +Arjuna. 026.jpg
Bang.+Hog Plum +Arjuna. 027.jpg
Bang.+Hog Plum +Arjuna. 049.jpg

Pardeshi S.

May 20, 2010, 12:48:36 AM5/20/10
to efloraofindia
it is Portulaca quadrifida---Portulacaceae
>  Bang.+Hog Plum +Arjuna. 026.jpg
> 145KViewDownload
>
>  Bang.+Hog Plum +Arjuna. 027.jpg
> 142KViewDownload
>
>  Bang.+Hog Plum +Arjuna. 049.jpg
> 142KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

May 20, 2010, 12:57:46 AM5/20/10
to Pardeshi S., efloraofindia
Yes Pardeshi ji
It is P. quadrifida

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Tabish

May 20, 2010, 1:05:53 AM5/20/10
to efloraofindia
Common name is Chicken Weed. Leaves are edible, and are used as feed
for chicken. பசலை கீறை Pasalai keerai in Tamil (or Pasarai keerai)
- Tabish

On May 19, 11:13 pm, Padmini Raghavan <padi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Bang.+Hog Plum +Arjuna. 026.jpg
> 145KViewDownload
>
>  Bang.+Hog Plum +Arjuna. 027.jpg
> 142KViewDownload
>
>  Bang.+Hog Plum +Arjuna. 049.jpg
> 142KViewDownload

shrikant ingalhalikar

May 20, 2010, 4:48:59 AM5/20/10
to efloraofindia
Padminiji,
I call these P. quadrifida flowers as 'siesta flowers', because they
open at noon and close by 2 pm. You did not miss this typical
character, I had to search these flowers for years to take a picture.
Regards, Shrikant

On May 19, 11:13 pm, Padmini Raghavan <padi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Bang.+Hog Plum +Arjuna. 026.jpg
> 145KViewDownload
>
>  Bang.+Hog Plum +Arjuna. 027.jpg
> 142KViewDownload
>
>  Bang.+Hog Plum +Arjuna. 049.jpg
> 142KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

May 20, 2010, 5:00:09 AM5/20/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Not only that, Shrikant ji, the flowers are closed in the morning also. Once my colleague told me that this species has pink flowers (I was looking out for smaller flowered pink species P. pilosa). We collected some whole plants in the morning when all flowers were closed and buds looked pinkish. We brought them to our lab, put then in a beaker with some water, and asked our lab staff to inform us when the flowers open. He rushed to me at 11.45 am and we saw all yellow flowers with 4 petals (P. pilosa has 5 pink). The flowers closed within one or two hours.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Satish Chile

May 20, 2010, 6:08:45 AM5/20/10
to Gurcharan Singh, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
This is Portulaca quadrifida Family Portulacaceae for sure.
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

tanay bose

May 20, 2010, 7:37:34 AM5/20/10
to Satish Chile, Gurcharan Singh, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Portulaca quadrifida for sure very common in Bengal too !
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)