Dracaena terniflora Roxb. :: at various places in Uttara Kannada

Dinesh Valke

Oct 5, 2016, 4:16:13 AM10/5/16
to efloraofindia

Dracaena terniflora Roxb. ... Asparagaceae ~ Liliaceae ~ Agavaceae ~ Dracaenaceae
at Castle Rock, Uttara Kannada on April 23, 2011

Dracaena terniflora Roxb.

at Yana Rocks, Uttara Kannada on December 15, 2012

Kempu Beru (Kannada: ಕೆಂಪು ಬೇರು)

Dracaena terniflora Roxb.

Manjakkantha (Malayalam: മഞ്ഞക്കാന്ത)

at Kadra, Uttara Kannada on May 25, 2013

Dwarf Dracaena
Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Aug 23, 2020, 12:14:03 AM8/23/20
to efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty, DineshValke
Dracaena terniflora posted by Dinesh ji from South India is possibly D. thwaitesii Regel, the only wild species known to occur in peninsular India and Sri Lanka.
This is for your kind information please.
Kind regards,
Tapas.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Aug 23, 2020, 3:51:53 AM8/23/20
to efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty, DineshValke
Thank you very much Tapas ji for suggesting this possibility. I had got this ID from Shrikant ji Ingalhalikar.
I searched for Dracaena thwaitesii Regel in Google to know more about it; but was not able to find any results in Indian context.

Dracaena terniflora Roxb., however, is listed in Flora of Maharashtra, distributed in Konkan and Kolhapur.
It is also listed in Gamble's Flora (screenshot seen in Flora of Peninsular India).

I suppose you have given us information based on revision of  the genus.

Regards.
Dinesh
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Aug 23, 2020, 11:33:03 AM8/23/20
to efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty, DineshValke
Dear Dinesh ji and Garg ji,
D. terniflora, originally described from Sylhet in Bangladesh is a highly misinterpreted species. My observations are based on examination of type specimens.
The type of D. thwaitesii shows simple inflorescence with often one or two branches near the base and small flowers, up to 10 mm long. Your images from Karnataka agree well with that.
D. terniflora bears much larger flowers and paniculate inflorescence.
I will reach back to you with final conclusions in near future.
Regards,
Tapas.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Aug 23, 2020, 11:33:40 AM8/23/20
to efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty, DineshValke
Thank you very much dear Tapas ji.
I am convinced with your views.
I will correct my notes at flickr accordingly.
Regards,
Dinesh
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Dinesh Valke

May 4, 2022, 11:37:22 PM5/4/22
to Tapas Chakrabarty, efloraofindia
Dear Tapas ji,
Please comment on ID of the posted plant, based on your study and recent paper - Conspectus of the genus Dracaena (Asparagaceae) in the Indo-Burmese region.

Regards.
Dinesh

May 5, 2022, 4:36:52 PM5/5/22
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh ji,
Thank you for resurfacing.
Well, Dracaena terniflora Roxb. is a highly misinterpreted species. It is now a synonym of D. elliptica Thunb. & Dalm.
As regards the images posted here, these are identifiable as D. spicata Roxb., characterized by the simple inflorescences. However, these images show that the inflorescences have one or two very short branches towards the base, i.e. near the apex of the peduncle. Thus it appears to be a slightly divergent variant of D. spicata and it requires further critical field investigation to ascertain whether this difference merits a distinct varietal status for this plant..
With regards,
Tapas Chakrabarty.

Dinesh Valke

May 5, 2022, 10:29:45 PM5/5/22
to Tapas Chakrabarty, efloraofindia
Dear Tapas ji, thank you very very much for providing the ID and pointing to the slight variation of the posted plant from D. spicata Roxb.
Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

May 14, 2022, 4:26:31 AM5/14/22
to Tapas Chakrabarty, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Thanks, Tapas ji,
Does D.spicata have distribution in India.
To me your earlier suggestion of Dracaena thwaitesii, looks much better.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

Tapas Chakrabarty

May 17, 2022, 9:51:16 AM5/17/22
to J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dracaena spicata is fairly common in India while D. thwaitesii is less abundant and easily recognizable by the smaller flowers, less than 10 mm in length.

Dinesh Valke

May 17, 2022, 10:32:24 AM5/17/22
to Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Tapas ji for this clarification.
Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

May 17, 2022, 11:19:28 AM5/17/22
to Tapas Chakrabarty, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot, Tapas ji.
Should we finally take it as D.spicata?
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Tapas Chakrabarty

May 17, 2022, 11:22:20 AM5/17/22
to J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Yes, please!

J.M. Garg

May 18, 2022, 2:17:28 AM5/18/22
to Tapas Chakrabarty, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Hi, Tapas ji,
As regards your observation "However, these images show that the inflorescences have one or two very short branches towards the base, i.e. near the apex of the peduncle",
I think the POWO specimen matches with Dinesh ji's infloescence.

On Fri, 6 May 2022 at 02:06, Tapas Chakrabarty <tcha...@gmail.com> wrote:

With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

May 21, 2022, 12:13:48 PM5/21/22
to efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty, DineshValke
Thanks, Tapas ji