Habenaria

Skip to the first unread message

ajinkya gadave

13-Jul-2010, 11:24:41 pm13/07/10
to Indian Trees
 Habenaria
Habenaria.JPG
Habenaria 1.JPG

Dr Pankaj Kumar

13-Jul-2010, 11:27:34 pm13/07/10
to efloraofindia
Looks like Habenaria grandifloriformis, but cant see the leaves.
Pankaj

Aparna Watve

13-Jul-2010, 11:27:35 pm13/07/10
to ajinkya gadave, Indian Trees
Nice pictures
Can you add entire plant (with leaf) and habit picture to complete the
plant photo profile?
Aparna

--
Dr. Aparna Watve
Dr. Aparna Watve

Dr Pankaj Kumar

13-Jul-2010, 11:29:44 pm13/07/10
to efloraofindia
Dr. Aparna is as usual right. I shouldnt have guess without
leaves......
Pankaj

ajinkya gadave

13-Jul-2010, 11:40:00 pm13/07/10
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
as per your suggestion uploading 2 pics of habenaria with leaf
thank you very much
Habenaria bud with leaf .JPG
Habenaria 3.JPG

Pankaj Kumar

13-Jul-2010, 11:56:36 pm13/07/10
to ajinkya gadave, efloraofindia
I think I will stick with my id, but grandifloriformis and rariflora
are confusing sometimes.....
Whole orchid group is confusing sometimes....Aparna through some light plz.....
Pankaj

tanay bose

14-Jul-2010, 12:27:56 am14/07/10
to Pankaj Kumar, ajinkya gadave, efloraofindia
Lovely plant a new species to me, my knowledge in orchid taxonomy is nil hence this nomenclatures are generating by own knowledge database.
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Aparna Watve

14-Jul-2010, 12:40:10 am14/07/10
to Pankaj Kumar, ajinkya gadave, efloraofindia
Thanks Pankaj ji for your trust in my opinion.
Hence, to keep up with the spirit of scientific correctness (often
=ambiguity), I say this:

The leaves in the second set of photographs are like Habenaria
grandifloriformis, so if I have to decide between H. rariflora and H.
grandifloriformis based on simple viewing of these pictures, I say it
is for H. grandifloriformis. From what I have seen in Western Ghats,
the two species can be distinguished based on leaves alone- H.
rariflora does not have the kind of leaves seen in this picture.

However, the proper procedure would be to take out a suitable flora
and key it out step by step.

I also see that some of the key points (such as Location, date etc. as
required in ITP mails) are missing with the original pictures.
Ajinkya, can you put all your pictures together and add the required
text details, to make a single male saying Habenaria grandifloriformis
in subject - so that it gets stored correctly in the database. Thanks
for your efforts of making the complete.
Regards
Aparna

Prashant awale

14-Jul-2010, 1:07:18 am14/07/10
to Aparna Watve, Pankaj Kumar, ajinkya gadave, efloraofindia
Dear All,
Few days back i had posted this herb . Forwarding the thread for ref.

regards
Prashant

ajinkya gadave

14-Jul-2010, 1:28:33 am14/07/10
to Prashant awale, Aparna Watve, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
aparna madam
as per your suggestion uploading total details of Habenaria .

thank you very much
ajinkya gadave

Date/Time : 13 -07-2010

Location Place : panshet

Altitude :
GPS : around 18°21'18.64"N, 73°33'0.33"E

Habitat : wild, at base of mountains
Type : this plant found on edge of dense forest cover

Plant
Habit :wild
Height : about 10 to15cm.
Length : - not a climber -

Leaves ... attach to ground
Type :
Shape :heart type
Size :3 to 5cm.

Inflorescence
Type :
Size : about 10 to 12 cm. ft.

Flowers
Size : 2 to 3cm.
Colour : white
Calyx : not sure
Bracts : --

Fruits
Type : not sure
Shape : not sure
Size : not sure
Seeds : not sure

Other Info

Fragrance : do not know
Pollinator : do not know
Uses : do not know

Habenaria.jpg

Aparna Watve

14-Jul-2010, 1:31:20 am14/07/10
to ajinkya gadave, Prashant awale, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Lovely profile Ajinkya
Thanks so much
Aparna

Pankaj Kumar

14-Jul-2010, 6:09:17 am14/07/10
to Aparna Watve, ajinkya gadave, Prashant awale, efloraofindia
Yes offcourse Aparna mam is right by saying that....all plants
features needs to be check for confirm id, hence try to take as many
pics as you can, its for free if you have a digital cam...
Thanks to all for cooperating....
Regardss
Pankaj

tanay bose

14-Jul-2010, 8:20:31 am14/07/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Aparna Watve, ajinkya gadave, Prashant awale, efloraofindia
Lovely compilation!!!
Thanks for sharing

tanay
Reply to all