In the shade of an old gooseberry tree.

raghu ananth

Apr 2, 2010, 8:03:29 AM4/2/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
In the shade of a  gooseberry tree.

I did manage to spot one gooseberry tree (November 2009) and mind you, it was a very huge one, with branches sprouting in all directions. One branch had been hijacked by children who perhaps imagined they were on a plane! Most of us, have at some point in time feasted on the bitter-sour tasting gooseberry (amla, nellikai). More often than not, we have stolen them from our neighbour's garden!  And, that's what these children are doing, ignoring the repeated shouts from the farm owner(a retired class one officer from the dept of public instructions) who at a distance could be seen with a raised walking stick in his hand.

This tree, I learnt was more than 80-100 year's old and stands tall giving an imperial look. Standing under the cool shade of this huge tree is itself a great feel, for it benefits us greatly purifying the air all around as it does.  I had experienced a similar feeling when we had a gooseberry tree at our home, sometime in 1981. It's amazing how one can still recall that feeling after all these years. As for me, if I am taken to a gooseberry tree and if I am asked to identify it with my eyes shut, I guess I will know the answer.

Back home in my village, these trees were found in abundance in every home but now their numbers have diminished and it is becoming tough to spot these trees.
( PS: the diminishing trend is not witnessed in any of the forest habitats. Last year, We saw a good number of gooseberry trees in the forests of Karnataka, Kerala, Tamilnadu and Andhra). As of now, I have planted a gooseberry tree in my garden around one and a half years back and it has grown just one and a half meters during this period. Moreover, its slim and appears weak.

/* From the net

Hang Me From a Gooseberry
 Tree
An Englishman, a Welshman and a Hebrew
They were sentenced to be hanged down Texas way
And they each wre asked to choose a tree to swing from
And they started with the Welshman right away

So the Welshman chose a pear tree and was happy
The Englishman said "Any tree will do"
So they chose for him an apple tree to swing from
When suddenly these words came from the Jew

"Hang me please from my favourite tree"
And the judge said "What tree will it be?"
"It's the tree I love best, it's my dying request
Hang me please from a gooseberry tree"

Then the judge said "But surely you know
That a gooseberry tree's awfully low"
"Oh all right then" says Mose
"I will wait til it grows
*/

The peepal tree, also has a similar cooling effect. I remember during summer while flying kites or while resting under its shade, a gentle breeze would shake its leaves in a synchronous manner, giving off a mysterious "whoosh" sound and would then cool the sweat from the brow, leading us to lay down flat and exclaim "ah". The goodness of the Peepal tree shade can even be experienced in a hot and humid place like Chennai or any other place for that matter!

I am also partial to the Mysore Fig and Honge (Pongamia Pinnata) trees.

Chandagal Village, Mysore district
Photo date: 29 Nov 2009
Emblica officinalis
Height 40-50 feet
Girth (approx): 3 trunks - 2.5, 2.0, 1.5 meters respectively

Thanks / Regards
Raghu

Hang Me From a Gooseberry Tree

DSC_6616a.jpg
DSC_6597a.jpg
DSC_6598a.jpg
DSC_6599a.jpg
DSC_6600a.jpg
DSC_6606b.jpg
DSC_6607a.jpg
DSC_6608a.jpg

Vijayadas D

Apr 2, 2010, 9:20:16 AM4/2/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nellikka !!!!

Vijayadas D
Horticulturist EstateSupervisorDeputy
Salwa Garden Village, PB -7210
Riyadh -11462 , KSA

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Apr 3, 2010, 2:12:22 AM4/3/10
to Vijayadas D, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
I have planted 3 gooseberry trees in my campus: two ordinary and one grafted, bought form the local forest nursery in 2007. The trees have grown tall, about 12', but the growth of the grafted one is not satisfactory. They havent started fruiting upto now.
ak
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
Gwalior. 474 005.
Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.
My blogsite is at:
http://anandkbhatt.blogspot.com
(A new blogs has been added on 1 April and 11 March 10.)
And the photo site:
www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ten most  common surnames of Indians: Singh, Kumar, Sharma, Patel, Shah, Lal, Gupta, Bhat, Rao, Reddy. Cheers!

Pankaj Oudhia

Apr 3, 2010, 2:24:12 AM4/3/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Vijayadas D, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Anand ji,

 Please send the list of organic inputs you are giving to that tree so that I can add or change some of them. Are you in position to use cow dung and urine based formulations prepared by using local weeds? If yes, then I can do something for the tree having slow growth.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Vasant Barve

Apr 3, 2010, 10:36:45 AM4/3/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Vijayadas D, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
I have experienced small droplets of water falling down from peepal tree.

Can some one expain this

Vasant Barve
=================================
(*    I have posted Three Jug puzzle & some  interesting  Puzzles  on  my blog  http://virtuallab.in/blog/      **)

Dr. Vasant Barve
# 5 Dhanalaxmi Apartments,
Shivagiri Colony, Gangapur Road,
Nashik 422 005 (India)
Phone 0253 234 2563 (R), 94227 30724 (M)

Pankaj Oudhia

Apr 3, 2010, 2:29:41 PM4/3/10
to Vasant Barve, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Vijayadas D, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Vasant ji,

Please check this link.

http://pankajinprintmedia.blogspot.com/2010/01/blog-post_4307.html

Click on image to read the content.

Pankaj Oudhia

raghu ananth

Apr 3, 2010, 11:25:03 PM4/3/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, Vasant Barve, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Vijayadas D, indian...@googlegroups.com

During summer, when we we came under rain tree,  we noticed tiny water droplets falling on our fore-hands. The droplets were around 1/10th of a rain droplet. Every body in the college knew this fact and talk of the season. I have not heard anything big droplets falling from tree.

This tiny droplets could be due to the insect wastes falling from above the tree branches and leaves. They could be any of the insects - red bugs, aphids or cicada.

Regards
Raghu

Apr 3, 2010, 11:59:37 PM4/3/10
to raghu ananth, Pankaj Oudhia, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Vijayadas D, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Pankajji

Yazdy Palia

Apr 4, 2010, 1:41:27 AM4/4/10
to raghu ananth, Pankaj Oudhia, Vasant Barve, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Vijayadas D, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mr. Raghu Ananth,
What was the time of the day when you had these droplets falling on
your fore-head. I had come across a lot of research being made by
water harvesters in areas that have very low rainfall. One of the
experiments conducted was keeping bottles with funnels under raintree
at night and measuring the water collected in the morning. Other
experiments were tying cotton nets lengthwise and collecting the
droplets in slit pvc pipes ultimately collected in smalltanks.
If you have experienced the droplets in the morning, it could be the
accumulated droplets from moisture in the air.
However, you may be right about the dropping of insects.
Regards
Yazdy.

raghu ananth

Apr 4, 2010, 2:28:02 AM4/4/10
to Yazdy Palia, Pankaj Oudhia, Vasant Barve, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Vijayadas D, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mr. Yezdy Palia,

The rain droplets falling from the tree were observed  during the mid-day. ( between 11.30AM to 1.00PM,
In fact we used to sit under the shades of this tree, watching our team members bat in  the cricket tournament.)

Regards
Raghu

Apr 10, 2010, 2:19:12 AM4/10/10
to raghu ananth, Yazdy Palia, Pankaj Oudhia, Vasant Barve, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Vijayadas D, indian...@googlegroups.com
Amla (Phyllanthus emblica), the top traded medicinal plant in India and the annual market demand is more than 5000 tonnes (source: FRLHT database). An ingredient of the famous ayurvedic formulation 'triphala' (others being Terminalia bellirica and T. chebula).

With regards

R. Vijayasankar
National Center for Natural Products Research,
The University of Mississippi,
Oxford, MS-38677, USA.