Request for id

Anil Gulati

May 31, 2009, 1:38:07 PM5/31/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all

This is pic (not a great shot) of trees in sundebans region of west bengal in water, people their call them as bani trees and they say it help to protect them from water as they stop or may be absorb !! water and was useful after aila stuck them on may 25. The pic is after cyclone aila stuck sundebans gosaba islands. pls help me to identify them and understand them better.

thanks and regards
anil

bani trees.JPG

Shaista

Jun 1, 2009, 4:22:01 AM6/1/09
to indiantreepix
Hi
They have to be some mangrove trees.
Some Avicennia species. From web, i find that local name "Bani"
corresponds to "Avicennia alba".
Look at this: http://wbenvironment.nic.in/html/StatuaOfEnvironment/status9.htm

There is another one...Avicennia officinalis on the flowers of India
website also..but it says that common name is "Bina".
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Indian%20Mangrove.html

Can't distinguish between these two from this long shot.

Shaista
>  bani trees.JPG
> 86KViewDownload

purnim...@priyaentertainments.com

Jun 1, 2009, 5:21:24 AM6/1/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Local name could be Byne not Bani or Bina

Purnima

Shaista

Jun 1, 2009, 1:23:51 PM6/1/09
to indiantreepix
hmm..but I can find all three on the web.. :-|
So its not Bina..
This one could be byne ..cos local people might (mis)pronounce it it
as bani(?)
This article is interesting and mentions Byne as well.
http://www.naturewildlife.org/changing%20climate%20-%20red%20alert%20in%20sunderban.pdf

Thanks for pointing our Purnima.

Shaista

On Jun 1, 2:21 pm, purnima.du...@priyaentertainments.com wrote:
> Local name could be Byne not Bani or Bina
>
> Purnima

purnim...@priyaentertainments.com

Jun 1, 2009, 9:49:31 PM6/1/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Quoting Shaista <shaist...@gmail.com>:

The mangrove plant as we see in your mail is locally known as Garjan.

Purnima