(120409SCS-102) - Shrub with strange design of the leaves

Suresh C. Sharma

Apr 12, 2009, 2:38:46 AM4/12/09
to indiantreepix
There were quite a few of these shrubs, small and medium height - both.

Smaller plants were having beautifully 'almost designed' leaves, but the larger ones of the same species with normal leaves.

Under the larges trees, along the road, Sonepat, Haryana, 11th April 09.

Not mulberry, I am sure.

Tried to identify in the books available with me, but all futile.

Best,
Suresh C Sharma

Picture-001.1.jpg
Picture-002.jpg

Suresh C. Sharma

Apr 12, 2009, 9:07:29 AM4/12/09
to Joshi Pankaj, indiantreepix
Thank you Dr Joshi for the help.
Yes, it resembles Urena sinuata. Here is a photography by Dinesh ji at:
Can I tick mark the plant in my folder as Urena sinuata?

Best,
Suresh C Sharma
____________

On 4/12/09, Joshi Pankaj <josh...@yahoo.com> wrote:

May some Urena sp???
What abt stipules?
Pankaj
Pankaj N. Joshi (PhD)
Jr. Scientist
Gujarat Institute of Desert Ecology (GUIDE)
Post Box # 83, Opp. Changleshwar Temple,
Mundra Road, Bhuj- Kachchh
Gujarat: 370 001 (India)
Phone: +91 2832 329408; Fax: 290335
Cell: +91 94269 49523
E-mail: pranav...@rediffmail.com

Kenneth Greby

Apr 12, 2009, 9:37:54 AM4/12/09
to indiantreepix, Suresh C. Sharma
 Looks like Broussonetia papyrifera (Moraceae) to me.

Regards--
Ken Greby
Broward County, Florida USA

Apr 12, 2009, 12:24:09 PM4/12/09
to Suresh C. Sharma, fst...@yahoo.com, indiantreepix
.... Suresh ji ... I do not think this one to be Urena species.
Though the general shape seems similar ... the venation and the margin is different ... your Picture-001.1 has clear (and sharp) serrated margin ... every lobe has a tip ... the leaf texture too seems different.
I have not seen this plant.

Many thanks to Ken ... take a look at search results for Broussonetia papyrifera
(Please ignore images that do not make sense).

A link at ENVIS - FRLHT

Regards.

Kenneth Greby

Apr 12, 2009, 1:29:11 PM4/12/09
to Suresh C. Sharma, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Suresh--

 Though it seems that most pictures on the Web show juvenile Broussonettia foliage with three lobes, I have seen examples in the field with more lobes, particularly on young plants and recently coppiced plants. As stems mature, the number of lobes decrease, until foliage becomes simple.

 Did you happen to break any foliage from the stems? Being Moraceae, Broussonettia will release (fairly) copious latex; I believe it is clear, rather than white, as in Ficus.

Regards--
Ken Greby.

satish phadke

Apr 12, 2009, 1:53:41 PM4/12/09
to fst...@yahoo.com, Suresh C. Sharma, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Broussonetia papyrifera
it shows variation in lobes of the leaves.
It is growing like weed in many parts of India.
Attaching my pictures showing younger shoots with lobes similar to your picture while older leaves from the same tree are not showing any lobes at all.
Satish

2009/4/12 Kenneth Greby <fst...@yahoo.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com
Paper Mulberry (Broussonetia papyrifera4.jpg

Suresh C. Sharma

Apr 12, 2009, 9:11:03 PM4/12/09
to Dinesh Valke, fst...@yahoo.com, indiantreepix
Thank you Dinesh ji, it does resemble Paper Mullberry Broussonetia papyrifera as suggested by Ken and you.

I will post images if I come to see in flowers.

Kind regs,
Suresh
___________

Suresh C. Sharma

Apr 12, 2009, 10:05:24 PM4/12/09
to Devendra Bhardwaj, Dinesh Valke, fst...@yahoo.com, indiantreepix
Thank you Devendra ji, will post the images once this shrub/tree flowers.

Regards,
Suresh

Devendra Bhardwaj

Apr 12, 2009, 10:01:53 PM4/12/09
to Dinesh Valke, Suresh C. Sharma, fst...@yahoo.com, indiantreepix
Hi Suresh ji,
      Initially
"There were quite a few of these shrubs, small and medium height - both".But Broussonetia papyrifera Big tree.Where is confusion.I have seen very tall tree in Jaipur.
With Regard
Devendra Bhardwaj

Devendra Bhardwaj

Apr 13, 2009, 11:00:25 AM4/13/09
to Dinesh Valke, Suresh C. Sharma, fst...@yahoo.com, indiantreepix
Hello Sir,
I dispatched A photo fruit With branch.
With Respect
Devendra Bhardwaj

Suresh C. Sharma

Apr 13, 2009, 11:37:46 AM4/13/09
to Devendra Bhardwaj, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Devendra ji for further substantiation with a nice photograph.

Regards,
Suresh C Sharma