ID needed--231009-RK-1

ranjini kamath

Oct 23, 2009, 6:04:44 AM10/23/09
to indiatreepix
Am confused about the ID of this flower/tree.I've been told this is
Brownea rosea.Is this a Saraca species? The leaves grow the same
way.Pic taken near residence,Bangalore-27-09-09.
Thank you.
Ranjini Kamath
IMG_5628-ad-pp-1-x1.jpg

Tabish

Oct 23, 2009, 6:29:26 AM10/23/09
to indiantreepix
Looks like Scarlet Flame Bean (Brownea coccinea)
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Scarlet%20Flame%20Bean.html
- Tabish
>  IMG_5628-ad-pp-1-x1.jpg
> 180KViewDownload

ranjini kamath

Oct 23, 2009, 8:33:07 AM10/23/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
This definitely looks like the pic you have posted.The flowers are
large & the tree is small & v. slow -growing.
The Brownea rosea that the Lalbagh botanists led me to-the flowers
looked v. much the same-tho' smaller & the tree was large.I will post
the pics of flower & trunk taken in Lalbagh, tomorrow-tho' the pics
are not up to the mark.
Regards
Ranjini Kamath

rashida atthar

Oct 23, 2009, 9:53:04 AM10/23/09
to ranj...@gmail.com, tab...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ranjini,

The beautiful pic you have posted is of Brownea coccinea. I was completely fascinated by this at Rani baug, Mumbai. The interesting part is the changing colour of leaves, texture and the layer by layer opening of the flowers. Before opening, from a distance it looks like a fruit. The flowers appear hidden under the branches. They flower in Feb-March and again in Sep-Dec.  I was lucky to see the different stages all in one tree. I posted them in March this year, have a look.

regards,
Rashida.

Dr Santhosh Kumar

Oct 23, 2009, 12:17:56 PM10/23/09
to ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
Ranjini Ji,

Thanks for posting the picture of  a 'handkerchief plant'. There are a few genera in Caesalpiniaceae family are known by this common name because the young foliage look like similar to handkercheif. The genera such as Brownea, Saraca, Humboldtia, Amhertia etc belong to such group. I think your photograph represents Brownea coccinea only.

Santhosh

2009/10/23 ranjini kamath <ranj...@gmail.com>

--
SANTHOSH
Dr. E.S. Santhosh Kumar

ranjini kamath

Oct 24, 2009, 1:54:58 AM10/24/09
to Dr Santhosh Kumar, indiatreepix
Dr. Santosh Thank you so much for the information about the genera
in Caesalpiniaceae also including the 'handkercief' plant.An apt name
.When we had first moved here i was puzzled by the number of 'rags'
on this tree! I have pics of A. nobilis,Saraca asoca -with flowers &
leaves which i will post later.Both leaves & flowers are so beautiful!
Regards
Ranjini Kamath

Swagat

Oct 24, 2009, 3:18:50 AM10/24/09
to ranjini kamath, Dr Santhosh Kumar, indiatreepix
Dear all,

'Brownea coccinea' is called 'Lal Zumber' 'लाल झुंबर' in Marathi.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568