Lauraceae?

Remko Beuving

Feb 17, 2023, 4:10:50 PM2/17/23
to eFloraofIndia
Local Adi in Upper siang district of Arunachal Pradesh call this 'combo', an edible fruit, with a citrus-like taste. Another (possibly related) fruit is 'harpu'. The last 4 pictures (no fruit) is the 'harpu'. Does anyone have an ID on this maybe?
Kind regards,
     Remko.
IMG_20191101_125050.jpg
IMG_20191101_120306.jpg
IMG_20191031_124906.jpg
IMG_20191101_120311.jpg
IMG_20191031_124902.jpg
IMG_20191101_125054.jpg

Saroj Kasaju

Feb 18, 2023, 12:04:37 AM2/18/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, gri...@gmail.com, J.M. Garg
Please check Neolitsea cuipala (D.Don) Kosterm.  !

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Feb 19, 2023, 7:39:53 PM2/19/23
to Saroj Kasaju, indian...@googlegroups.com, gri...@gmail.com
There are two different species (leaf venation is different in both).
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Remko Beuving

Feb 20, 2023, 7:11:49 PM2/20/23
to eFloraofIndia

Thank you J.M.Garg ji,
Indeed there are two species depicted, I should have pointed that out more clearly maybe).
the non-fruiting ons seems to be Neolitsea cuipala like Saroj Kasaju ji suggested (thanks for that as well!) but for the fruiting one I find the nervature of the foliage (first pair from the central nerve are running almost alll the way to the tip) does not look much like that of the Litsea I see depicted (mostly the first pair reaches the margin of the leaf even before the middle section of the leaf). I hope my descriptions are somewhat clear.
Kind regards,
     Remko.

Saroj Kasaju

Feb 21, 2023, 3:51:25 AM2/21/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, griphuz, J.M. Garg

Thank you Dr.  Beuving

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Feb 22, 2023, 5:54:41 AM2/22/23
to efloraofindia, griphuz, Saroj Kasaju
I think non fruiting one appears different from images at
https://efloraofindia.com/2014/04/15/neolitsea-cuipala/
This seems more closer to Cinnamomum:
https://efloraofindia.com/2011/02/15/cinnamomum/

Fruiting one appears more closer to images at
https://efloraofindia.com/2013/02/08/neolitsea-cassia/

With regards,
J.M.Garg
IMG_20191101_125050.jpg
IMG_20191101_120306.jpg
IMG_20191031_124906.jpg
IMG_20191101_120311.jpg
IMG_20191031_124902.jpg
IMG_20191101_125054.jpg

Tapas Chakrabarty

Feb 23, 2023, 3:28:02 AM2/23/23
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, griphuz, Saroj Kasaju
The sterile images are of Cinnamomum while the images bearing fruits belong to Lindera neesiana (Lauraceae).

Regards,
Tapas

J.M. Garg

Feb 23, 2023, 4:25:07 AM2/23/23
to Tapas Chakrabarty, efloraofindia, griphuz, Saroj Kasaju
Thanks a lot, Tapas ji.
Great help.
Seems correct as per images and references at
https://efloraofindia.com/2018/12/09/lindera-neesiana/
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

griphuz

Feb 23, 2023, 9:08:47 AM2/23/23
to J.M. Garg, Tapas Chakrabarty, efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju
Dear gentlemen,
Thank you for your input!
for the non-fruitbaring species I am still in doubt between Neolitsea (Neolitsea cuipala has been suggested, resemblance is very close!) and Cinnamomum. I will look further into this.
For the fruitbaring one Lindera neesiana has been suggested, but upon looking at herbarium specimen (from Kew and others) I conclude that again the nervature of the foliage is quite different, as well as the missing glaucous colouration of the abaxial side of the leaf in Lindera neesiana. Also the fruit in Kindera occurs in bunches and is much smaller than the depicted single fruit. I have no other suggestions however, the foliage makes me search towards Cinnamomum and Neolitse as wel, but the fruit again is quite different.
Kind regards and thanks for all the input.
     Remko.

griphuz

J.M. Garg

Feb 23, 2023, 10:06:54 AM2/23/23
to griphuz, Tapas Chakrabarty, efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju
Thanks, Remko ji
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Tapas Chakrabarty

Feb 23, 2023, 10:35:38 AM2/23/23
to J.M. Garg, griphuz, efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju
Any further comment with these images devoid of flowers and fruits is not possible.

J.M. Garg

Feb 26, 2023, 4:23:26 AM2/26/23
to Tapas Chakrabarty, griphuz, efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju
Thanks, Tapas ji.
I tried to check specimens in POWO and GBIF of the species listed in BSI Flora of India, but could not reach any id.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Feb 26, 2023, 4:25:03 AM2/26/23
to Tapas Chakrabarty, griphuz, efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju
I will further check Neolitsea as mentioned in BSI Flora of India.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Tapas Chakrabarty

Feb 26, 2023, 4:34:58 AM2/26/23
to J.M. Garg, griphuz, efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju
Garg ji,

Such terminal perulate buds are indeed seen in Neolitsea but here the lateral primary veins of the leaves are ascending 100% way along the lamina, a feature unusual in Neolitsea except in a few rare examples in N. cuipala where these lateral primaries ascend up to 90% way along the lamina. So, the identity can be established only after seeing the flowers or fruits.

Regards,
Tapas

J.M. Garg

Feb 26, 2023, 4:52:03 AM2/26/23
to Tapas Chakrabarty, griphuz, efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju
Thanks a lot, Tapas ji
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg