Solanaceae week:07/04/2011/YRP/01/Chethalayam, Wayanad.

Yazdy Palia

Apr 7, 2011, 1:12:28 PM4/7/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Friends, pictures of flowers, fruits and leaves of bird eye chilli.
Could someone come out with the Botanical name please?
Regards
Yazdy.

You have been sent 6 pictures.

IMG_4883.JPG
IMG_4884.JPG
IMG_4895.JPG
IMG_4896.JPG
IMG_4899.JPG
IMG_4902.JPG

IMG_4883.JPG
IMG_4884.JPG
IMG_4895.JPG
IMG_4896.JPG
IMG_4899.JPG
IMG_4902.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 7, 2011, 9:55:27 PM4/7/11
to Yazdy Palia, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yazdy ji
This is again Capsicum frutescens, now correctly known as Capsicum annuum (C. frutescens being synonym of C. annuum).

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Yazdy Palia

Apr 8, 2011, 12:12:16 AM4/8/11
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dr. Gurcharan Singh ji,
Many thanks for the identification. I knew it as Bird eye chilli, but
had my doubts. The reason being, the Wikipedia link sent by you (I had
also gone through it before sending it to eflora) has a picture with
the chilli hanging down. The picture of the chilli sent by me is
always pointing upwards. The length of the chilli in our place is
never over 1" .and the diameter is hardly 5 mm,(the picture sent by
me shows the length of the chilli around 6 mm and the diameter around
4 mm), whereas the picture in Wikipedia link shows the chilli over 2"
according to me and the diameter at least 10 mm. The scovile rating
however is perfect. Please help me. Regards.
Yazdy.

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 8, 2011, 12:32:15 AM4/8/11
to Yazdy Palia, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yazdy ji, pl see the second image on the same page and description along side: length 2-5 cm, width 5 mm
Erect short and drooping long chillies were earlier treated as two different species C. frutescens and C. annuum, respectively, but now thought that these differences are not enough, hence a single species.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Yazdy Palia

Apr 8, 2011, 2:59:52 AM4/8/11
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dr. Gurcharan Singh ji,
As usual, I have been hasty. A weakness I must overcome. Thank you so
much for your patience and for the information.
Regards
Yazdy.

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 8, 2011, 3:02:24 AM4/8/11
to Yazdy Palia, indian...@googlegroups.com
My pleasure
I love this group for personalities like you: no hassles, no complexes, down to earth.