UnID Tree in Munnar - Tabish

Tabish

May 4, 2009, 2:58:03 PM5/4/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
This is a small tree seen flowering in Munnar in March. It was
cultivated in a garden.
Please to help identify it.
- Tabish
mun157.jpg
mun154.jpg
mun155.jpg

Dr A. RAJASEKARAN

May 5, 2009, 12:39:07 AM5/5/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Dear Tabish

I think it is Vernonia arborea of Asteraceae family and the only tree species in the Asteraceae

with regards

Dr A Rajasekaran

May 5, 2009, 12:50:54 AM5/5/09
to Dr A. RAJASEKARAN, indian...@googlegroups.com, Tabish
Thanks, Rajasekaran ji,
Links for Vernonia arborea syn. Vernonia monosis (Karana, Sadagai, Shutthai, Eerakatthira, Karana, Kadavari, Malanperuva): http://www.biotik.org/india/species/v/vernarbo/vernarbo_en.html (Details with lots of pix), http://www.worldagroforestry.org/SEA/Products/AFDbases/WD/asps/DisplayDetail.asp?SpecID=3574 (more syn. & common names).

2009/5/5 Dr A. RAJASEKARAN <rajse...@yahoo.com>

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Tabish

May 5, 2009, 12:54:20 AM5/5/09
to indiantreepix
Rajasekaran ji,
Bull's eye! It is Vernonia arborea indeed. Since I saw it
cultivated in a garden, I mistakenly assumed it to be an exotic. It is
native the Western Ghats, called Karantai in Tamil and Malayalam.
Vernonia is an interesting genus, containing plants like curtain-
creeper, annual herbs like Vernonia cinerea and also trees.
However, Vernonia arborea may not be the only tree in the daisy
family. Vernonia volkameriifolia is also a small tree, native to
eastern Himalayas.
Thanks for enlightening!
Cheers!
- Tabish