Tree id needed please?

Kiran Srivastava

Dec 30, 2007, 11:12:26 AM12/30/07
to indian...@googlegroups.com

I request identification of this tree that had bunches of hard plum-coloured fruits? This tree was photographed this morning in Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Mumbai. Some fruits had fallen down too!

Cheers,

Kiran Srivastava

Mumbai

Kir...@vsnl.net

Tree with hard red fruits.jpg

Pravin Kawale

Dec 31, 2007, 8:09:30 AM12/31/07
to Kiran Srivastava, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kiran
These are fruits of
Sterculia gutata
Mar name Kokaru
Thanks.

J.M. Garg

Dec 31, 2007, 10:12:07 PM12/31/07
to Pravin Kawale, Kiran Srivastava, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sterculia guttata seeds extractives are an effective mosquito larvicide, as per the following link:

J.M.Garg
"What ultimately remains, is the hand you extend to others"
For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees pictures etc., visit  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg
For learning about our trees & plants, please visit http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en

Kiran Srivastava

Jan 1, 2008, 1:24:21 AM1/1/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Pravin, Garg! I got the tree identified subsequently. However none of the sites actually mention the size and colour of the fruit so it can be confusing…

Cheers,

Kiran Srivastava

Mumbai

kir...@vsnl.net