From Ranganthitoo - Ant Nest on tree

Bharat Bhushan

Jan 20, 2010, 10:49:59 AM1/20/10
to indiantreepix
Photograph of ant nest by bringing several leaves together. At about 6 feet high, along the lake at Ranganthitoo, near Srirangapatna, on the Bengaluru-Mysore Highway, Karnataka. Date 26 December 2009

Is this commonly seen? On this plant? Which plant is it? Do ants build these nests along lakesides? The entire nest could have easily been snapped off and it would have gone into the lake. The lake pix is the scene below the nest.

Dr. Bharat Bhushan
Dean (Academic) and Professor, Environmental Planning
Yashwantrao Chavan Academy of Development Administration

Address: YASHADA Campus, Baner Road, Pune 411007, India

DSC01959.JPG
DSC01960.JPG
DSC01963.JPG
DSC01968.JPG

Yazdy Palia

Jan 20, 2010, 11:55:28 AM1/20/10
to Bharat Bhushan, indiantreepix
Dear Dr Bharat Bhushan,
These ants ( I would love to know its name), are very common. We have
them building nests on all kinds of trees and plants at my coffee
holding at wayanad in Kerala. I have seen them on Jack fruit trees,
mango trees, or any large leaved tree. I have seen them even on coffee
plants. These ants have a fiery sting. Just a couple of days back I
noticed some of them collected around the vent of our septic tank. The
interesting part was that so many of these were collected there that I
stopped to find the reason. I was surprised to note that they were
attacking mosquitoes trying to enter the septic tank and within a few
minutes when I was standing there, captured at least four to five
mosquitoes and carried them in pieces to their nest.
Regards
Yazdy Palia.

raghu ananth

Jan 20, 2010, 12:36:40 PM1/20/10
to Yazdy Palia, Bharat Bhushan, indiantreepix
All,

These are the  Weaver ants,

At home I have seen them building nests by pulling the young leaves together in the trees of Guava, Mango, Jack and black plum trees. The entire nest with the ant larvae are taken home & consumed by local people in parts of malnad.

Wiki Link
They can inflict painful bites and often spray formic acid directly at the bite wound resulting in intense discomfort.

Regards
Raghu

Jan 20, 2010, 10:36:24 PM1/20/10
to bharat...@gmail.com, Indian tree pics
Interesting! This is obviously the red weaver ant. In tropical Australia we have the green weaver ant, Oecophylla smaragdina. They make a tasty snack on a hot day, refreshingly lime-like.

 Not my picture, I regret to say, but I hope people won't mind - in the interests of education.

Max

Novels by Max and/or Ariana Overton http://www.maxoverton.com

The Lion of Scythia Trilogy (Lion of Scythia, The Golden King, Funeral in Babylon); The Glass House Trilogy (Glass House, A Glass Darkly, Looking Glass); A Cry of Shadows, The Devil is in the Details,  Trapdoor, Tapestry,  Scarab - Akhenaten (Book 1 of the Amarnan Kings), Scarab - Smenkhkare (Book 2 of the Amarnan Kings), Scarab - Tutankhamen (Book 3 of the Amarnan Kings), Scarab - Ay (Book 4 of the Amarnan Kings), Rakshasa (Book 1 of the Demon series), Djinn (Book 2 of the Demon series), Glass Continuum, Ascension
Works in Progress: Sequestered, Scarab - Horemheb (Book 5 of the Amarnan Kings), Succubus (Book 3 of the Demon series)

Also check out http://julesphotographiccreations.blogspot.com/

This message was created using recycled letters from deleted emails

From: bharat...@gmail.com
To: indian...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [efloraofindia:26661] From Ranganthitoo - Ant Nest on tree
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 21:19:59 +0530

Parjanya guru

Jan 20, 2010, 11:02:29 PM1/20/10
to MAX OVERTON, bharat...@gmail.com, Indian tree pics
.. gret to know that  Max..!!
.. Interestingly., there 's  a sour soup prepared by the paste of these ants  for which the tribal people of Karnataka, India are much fond of!!  And the ants are found to be higly acidic in taste...

Bharat Bhushan

MAX OVERTON

From: maxov...@hotmail.com
To: bharat...@gmail.com; indian...@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [efloraofindia:26667] From Ranganthitoo - Ant Nest on tree
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 21:36:24 -0600

Interesting! This is obviously the red weaver ant. In tropical Australia we have the green weaver ant, Oecophylla smaragdina. They make a tasty snack on a hot day, refreshingly lime-like.

ATT00001

Pardeshi S.

Jan 22, 2010, 12:40:23 AM1/22/10
to efloraofindia
Hello all
to me the plant is some Derris species, most probably Derris indica.

Regards
Satish Pardeshi