ID REQUEST : Morinda sp. ?

Germain Vital

Oct 31, 2023, 4:59:05 AM10/31/23
to eFloraofIndia

Dear members,

Observation

Tree and fruit photo : 18/10/23. Riung District, Flores, Indonesia.

Flower photo :  21/02/23. Riung District, Flores, Indonesia.

Description: This species is called "Forest Morinda citrifolia " by the locals. As Morinda citrofolia, it's used as a natural dye. It's also a medecine for diarrhea. Even if it's likely M.citrofolia, the leaf, and the fruit are different for me and also smaller. The flower photo has been taken in a different place but has been identified as the same tree from local guide (Kembo) as the leaf and fruit photo's plan. In Flores here, you also have Morinda piperiformis but I didn't find any info online or  in all herbarium.

Habitus: Dry forest of the coast and dry hills20230208_094111.jpgDSC04885.jpgDSC04891.jpg

First ID: Morinda sp.

Kind regards,

Germain Vital

Oct 31, 2023, 11:41:19 PM10/31/23
to eFloraofIndia
As I made futher research it seems like its Morinda coriea for a first observation in Flores island. As it's a common species in India, maybe you can confirm that ? I have a doubt that Morinda citrifolia is indigenous from Lesser Sunda Island as indicated on online database.

Saroj Kasaju

Nov 1, 2023, 3:00:56 AM11/1/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Germain VITAL, J.M. Garg
I guess it is more close to Morinda citrifolia L. !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Germain Vital

Nov 7, 2023, 6:09:23 AM11/7/23
to eFloraofIndia
Thanks for your answer. The fruit of M.citrifolia can have this morphology ? I havent found any photos of first stage fruits that look like that
Ger

J.M. Garg

Nov 26, 2023, 3:08:44 AM11/26/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Germain Vital, Saroj Kasaju
I feel the flowering image is of some other species.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Mandru Ramesh Chowdary

Nov 28, 2023, 7:15:49 AM11/28/23
to efloraindia, Germain Vital, Saroj Kasaju
Yes garg sir
It appears more close to M.pubescens..!

Germain Vital

Dec 4, 2023, 2:44:16 AM12/4/23
to eFloraofIndia
Thank you all for your help. M.pubescens is a synonym of M.coreia right ?

Here are more photos :

 fruit.jpgflower 2 morinda sp.jpgflower morinda sp.jpg

J.M. Garg

Dec 4, 2023, 2:58:29 AM12/4/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Germain Vital
Yes.