Tree for Id2- 010409-Jm2

J.M. Garg

Apr 1, 2009, 12:05:58 PM4/1/09
to indiantreepix
On 7/2/09 in Hyderabad in AP Forest Academy. I saw it alongwith Lannea coromandelica (Wodier Tree) & for once confused it to be Lannea coromandelica only as their trunks intermingled so well along with the leafless branches.

I have gone throgh the Indiantreepix link in which such pods of Stereospermum personatum [Padal] (though picture is not clear)were discussed along with those of Radermachera xylocarpa ... खडशिंगी khadshingi & Fernandoa adenophylla, commonly known as katsagon, मरॊड़फली *marodphali : http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/bc90ff129a535fa7/ed4a51afaad33b7c?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=...+whose+fruits+%3F#ed4a51afaad33b7c
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Tree for Id2 in Hyderabad I IMG_5648.jpg
Tree for Id2 in Hyderabad I IMG_5650.jpg
Tree for Id2 in Hyderabad I IMG_5652.jpg

Barry Stock

Apr 1, 2009, 12:21:22 PM4/1/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Fernandoa or Markhamia, I think. Bignoniaceae.

-bs

<Tree for Id2 in Hyderabad I IMG_5648.jpg><Tree for Id2 in Hyderabad I IMG_5650.jpg><Tree for Id2 in Hyderabad I IMG_5652.jpg>

Dinesh Valke

Apr 1, 2009, 12:40:56 PM4/1/09
to Barry Stock, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
I have a feeling that it is Wrightia tinctoria.
First glimpse reminded me of Fernandoa, but typically they hang in clusters, with one or two gentle yet pronounced coils, resembling bunch of snakes.
BUT, these are only my thoughts ... Barry ji's thoughts may yet be true.

Friends to come forward.

Regards.

Kenneth Greby

Apr 1, 2009, 1:00:46 PM4/1/09
to J.M. Garg, Barry Stock, indiantreepix
 Decidedly Bignoniaceae, but doubtful Markhamia, which typically has flattened pods.

 Other than that, I don't know.

Regards--
Ken Greby

Tabish

Apr 1, 2009, 2:05:11 PM4/1/09
to indiantreepix
I must admire Dinesh's eye for detail. Indeed Marodphali has pods
which are twisted much more - I see them all around in Delhi. This
plant must definitely be Wrightia tinctoria - seed-pods being paired
(joined at the top) is a clear evidence. The following picture by
Dinesh, which shows the paired pods with the flowers, should put any
doubt to rest:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/3272435256/
Cheers!
- Tabish

On Apr 1, 10:00 pm, Kenneth Greby <fstf...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>  Decidedly Bignoniaceae, but doubtful Markhamia, which typically has flattened pods.
>
>  Other than that, I don't know.
>
> Regards--
> Ken Greby

Pankaj Oudhia

Apr 1, 2009, 2:14:27 PM4/1/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Garg ji,

 In my area Helicteres isora is known as Marodphali (Also Aithi) as it is used for crampy pain in stomach. Cramp means Marod or Aithan (i.e.Aithi).

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=98895

Pankaj Oudhia

Kenneth Greby

Apr 1, 2009, 3:46:19 PM4/1/09
to indiantreepix, Tabish
 I stand corrected.

Regards--
Ken Greby.

Barry Stock

Apr 1, 2009, 4:03:38 PM4/1/09
to fst...@yahoo.com, indiantreepix, Tabish
Yes, now that you mention it, the twinned pods is Apocynaceae.

-bs

J.M. Garg

Apr 2, 2009, 12:34:12 AM4/2/09
to Barry Stock, fst...@yahoo.com, indiantreepix, Tabish
Thanks, Dinesh ji, Tabish ji, Barry, Pankaj ji & Ken ji.
More details from Indiantreepix Database:
Wrightia tinctoria (syn. Nerium tinctorium, N. tinctorium)  Apocynaceae  Sweet Indrajao, Black indrajau, Pala indigo plant, Dyers’s oleander, Kala kuda  flowering tree- May 2008- Tippur, Mysore distt. Wrightia tinctoria on Flickr - Photo Sharing! White flowering tree for Identification - 22May2008Raghu1 - indiantreepix | Google Groups

Dinesh Valke

Apr 2, 2009, 1:06:27 AM4/2/09
to J.M. Garg, Barry Stock, fst...@yahoo.com, indiantreepix, Tabish
Many thanks to all.

Here are some names of Wrightia tinctoria that I have compiled from internet and reference books:

black indrajau, dyeing rosebay, dyers’s oleander, ivory tree, pala indigo plant, sweet indrajao
Gujarati: દૂધલો dudhalo • Hindi: दुधी dudhi, इन्द्रजौ indrajau, काला कुडा kala kuda, करायजा karayaja, कुडा kuda • Kannada: ಅಜಮರ ajamara • Konkani: काळाकुडो kalakudo • Marathi: भूरेवडी bhurevadi, काळा कुडा kala kuda • Malayalam: ഭന്തപ്പാല bhanthappaala, കമ്പിപ്പാല kampippaala, നിലപ്പാല nilappaala • Sanskrit: असित कुटज asita kutaj, hyamaraka, स्त्री कुटज stri kutaja • Tamil: இரும்பாலை irum-palai, பாலை paalai, வெட்பாலை vet-palai • Telugu: అంకుడుచెట్టు ankuduchettu, చిట్టిఅంకుడు chiti-anikudu, కొండజెముడు kondajemudu

Putting down names with the intention that we all get to them in our mother tongue (I find it most difficult to get names in Konkani, my mother tongue).
Validations are most welcome.

Regards.