Soliva anthemifolia from Delhi

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 27, 2010, 5:06:05 AM3/27/10
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Sending Soliva anthemifolia (Jussieu) Sweet (Asteraceae) from Delhi growing in moist places on Old Delhi Ridge and also along fields in Wazirabad. This South American plant has been introduced in many places in India. It might be easily confused with Coronopus didymus but the flowers occur in sessile axillary capitula hidden at the base of leaves. If you find a Coronopus like plant whose leaves also remind you of an umbellifer, look for the greenish sessile (brownish when dry and mature) capitala. It could be Soliva anthemifolia.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Soliva-anthemifolia-Delhi-3.jpg
Soliva-anthemifolia-Delhi-1.jpg
Soliva-anthemifolia-Delhi-4.jpg

Balkar Arya

Mar 27, 2010, 7:05:06 AM3/27/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Dear Gurcharan Ji
Many Thanks to you for posting this plant. I got very confused today to see this plant while identifying Herbarium of IInd year students. Everyone has written it as Coronapus. You solved my problem. However for more confirmation i am attaching my picture here
Thanks a lot Sir,

Regards

Dr Balkar Singh

Solivia anthemifolia panipat.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 27, 2010, 7:50:59 AM3/27/10
to Balkar Arya, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Balkar ji
Your plant is definitely Soliva anthemifolia. I am sure it will be found in many more places.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dr.ANIL KUMAR

Mar 28, 2010, 12:08:13 AM3/28/10
to efloraofindia
Sir

How it is different from cotula hemispherica??

On Mar 27, 4:50 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Balkar ji
> Your plant is definitely Soliva anthemifolia. I am sure it will be found in
> many more places.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor

> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Balkar Arya <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear Gurcharan Ji
> > Many Thanks to you for posting this plant. I got very confused today to see
> > this plant while identifying Herbarium of IInd year students. Everyone has
> > written it as Coronapus. You solved my problem. However for more
> > confirmation i am attaching my picture here
> > Thanks a lot Sir,
>
> > Regards
>
> > Dr Balkar Singh
>

> > On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Sending Soliva anthemifolia (Jussieu) Sweet (Asteraceae) from Delhi
> >> growing in moist places on Old Delhi Ridge and also along fields in
> >> Wazirabad. This South American plant has been introduced in many places in
> >> India. It might be easily confused with Coronopus didymus but the flowers
> >> occur in sessile axillary capitula hidden at the base of leaves. If you find
> >> a Coronopus like plant whose leaves also remind you of an umbellifer, look
> >> for the greenish sessile (brownish when dry and mature) capitala. It could
> >> be Soliva anthemifolia.
>
> >> --
> >> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> >> Retired  Associate Professor
> >> SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> >> Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> >> Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

> >>http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/<http://people.du.ac.in/%7Esinghg45/>

> >>  --

> >> .
> >> For more options, visit this group at

> >>http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.- Hide quoted text -

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 28, 2010, 12:52:06 AM3/28/10
to Dr.ANIL KUMAR, efloraofindia
Anil ji
The capitula of Cotula hemisphaerica are pedunculate and not sessile at base as in Soliva anthemifolia.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 28, 2010, 1:03:36 AM3/28/10
to Dr.ANIL KUMAR, efloraofindia
Just an example of how easily people confuse Soliva anthemifolia and Coronopus didymus
See third and fourth photographs of the this link: