Which Cordia?

Satish Phadke

Jun 25, 2010, 11:09:49 AM6/25/10
to indiantreepix
I observed this large tree about 8-10 m high on Vetal tekdi Pune.
Leaves : Alternate 12cm bye 10cm
upper surface :glabrous dark green.
Lower surface :Faint green very finely tomentose.
Shape orbicular ovate. Base as seen in picture cordate-oblique? Basal nerves not opposite?
Inflorescence Cymes like in Boraginaceae. Only one flower blooming in most of the inflorescence(Observation was in the evening.)
Flowers White ; Fragrant.5-6 lobes. Size span More than 2cm.
Styles not visible easily as against other local species(C.macleodii)
Can't reach to any conclusion which Cordia?
Dr Phadke

IMG_9688s.jpg
IMG_9693s.jpg

tanay bose

Jun 25, 2010, 11:14:26 AM6/25/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Any chance of being Cordia superba ?
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

shrikant ingalhalikar

Jun 25, 2010, 12:54:50 PM6/25/10
to efloraofindia
Leaves sub opposite, 3-5 nerved at base, ovate, cordate, densely
tomentose beneath and calyx ribbed. This leads to C. macleodii.
Regards, Shrikant
>  IMG_9688s.jpg
> 123KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_9693s.jpg
> 124KViewDownload

Satish Phadke

Jun 29, 2010, 11:09:38 AM6/29/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
I have seen Cordia macleodii flowers at many places.
Every time a characteristic branched style was observed in all flowers.
I was wondering about the flowers of this plant devoid of visible style and stigma and 6 prominent stamens with anthers. I went again to check for mature flowers with styles but I couldn't see any. On reading the book by S. D. Mahajan I came to know that the tree produces both bisexual and male flowers and the male flowers exhibit prominent stamens.
So these must be the male flowers of Cordia macleodii which fooled me about the ID.
Attaching flowers clicked earlier from different plant in the same area(Most of these flower in March)
Dr Phadke

Cordia macleodii3.jpg
Cordia macleodii4.jpg
DSCN9569.JPG

tanay bose

Jun 29, 2010, 1:12:18 PM6/29/10
to Satish Phadke, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Thanks for the fact Satish ji, I was not aware of this feature !!
Tanay

Muthu Karthick

Jul 4, 2010, 1:11:58 AM7/4/10
to tanay bose, Satish Phadke, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Good information Satishji. Thanks for sharing.
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
Care Earth Trust
Chennai - 61
www.careearthtrust.org

greenearth

Mar 21, 2012, 11:51:20 AM3/21/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Satish-ji

I was trying to view these images when i faced the problem.
Would appreciate if you could possibly re-post them.

Thanks
A.Sinha

Ushadi micromini

Mar 21, 2012, 12:03:56 PM3/21/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia, Satish Phadke
Satish: cant see the pics, neither first nor the subsequent submission....
when I press the view button it cycles back to the google group page and sits there...
happened a few times...
gave up...
Usha di
==

Satish Phadke

Mar 21, 2012, 12:04:34 PM3/21/12
to Ushadi micromini, indian...@googlegroups.com
Did you get the mail?
--
Dr Satish Phadke

Ushadi

Mar 21, 2012, 12:42:35 PM3/21/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia
Sake of completion...

this problem was partly resolved by my now opting for all emails to come to my inbox in gmail account.... Satish did it for me... so nice thank you... let hope  atleast viewing will be easier...
usha di
=====