PLANT FOR ID 32 SMP 25 FEB 2009

satish phadke

Feb 22, 2009, 9:40:21 AM2/22/09
to indiantreepix Indian
This small tree was observed in flowering phase today on the outskirts of Pune Maharashtra.
The bark pale yellowish gray. Flowers very small red coloured with four united petals as seen in the picture 0.5 cm or less in dichasial cymes.
The leaves are trifoliate and apparantly appear like Bael (Aegle marmalos)
Satish Phadke

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com
DSCN2092s.jpg

grassman

Feb 26, 2009, 8:19:53 AM2/26/09
to indiantreepix

dear satish

this plant on first look seems to be member od burseraceae family and
most probably commiphora sp.

J.M. Garg

Mar 6, 2009, 3:46:50 AM3/6/09
to indiantreepix
Forwarding again for Id pl.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

DSCN2092s.jpg
DSCN2104s.jpg
DSCN2105s.jpg
DSCN2108s.jpg

Satish Phadke

Mar 12, 2010, 12:15:59 PM3/12/10
to indiantreepix Indian
After looking at Muthu ji's pictures of Commiphora caudata I searched one plant posted by me on 22Feb 09.Which was also suggested to be from Burseraceae and aptly as Commidora sp. by grassman.
Now again resurfacing for validation
Thanks
Dr Phadke Satish

DSCN2092s.jpg
DSCN2104s.jpg
DSCN2105s.jpg
DSCN2108s.jpg

R. Vijayasankar

Mar 12, 2010, 12:19:44 PM3/12/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Yes Satish ji, i too think it is Commiphora caudata.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar
National Center for Natural Products Research,
The University of Mississippi,
Oxford, MS-38677, USA.

Muthu Karthick

Mar 12, 2010, 12:23:10 PM3/12/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Hi,
Anyone have pictures of Commiphora berryi (Arn.) Engler, a small cultivated tree?
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
Care Earth Trust
Chennai - 61
www.careearthtrust.org

R. Vijayasankar

Mar 12, 2010, 12:31:48 PM3/12/10
to Muthu Karthick, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Here is a link for you Muthu. It is a profusely thony shrub with smaller leaflets.

Rohit Patel

Mar 12, 2010, 11:34:12 PM3/12/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Muthu Karthick, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Dear all,

 i have some query with the Species of Commiphora genus.

   i had collected two specimen of this genus namely, C.Wightii and C. stockii. but other resources  says that form arid and semi arid region of Gujarat only, C. wightii recorded but in the Flora of the BOmbay precidency this both species were mention. the character by which they are differ is the present of spine and absence of spine.

so, i want to conferm that is there now any species is exist Namely C. stickii ?????????

and if yes then can you give me discription of it , or no than why it is mention in Flora of Bombay precidency ???????

awating for reply

thanks in advance
ROhit
ROHITKUMAR M.PATEL
Asst. Project cordinator
(Grassland development)
AHKC unit,Sahjeevan
175, Jalaram Society,
Vijay Nagar
Bhuj Kachchh-  370001
Gujarat, India
www.sahjeevan.org
E-mail (2):-rohitpa...@yahoo.com
Mo.:- 09724337687

Satish Phadke

Mar 13, 2010, 9:09:11 AM3/13/10
to indiantreepix Indian
BSI Flora of Maharashtra mentions only C.Wightii species from Genus Commiphora.
Can it be the C.Wightii then?

R. Vijayasankar

Mar 15, 2010, 2:35:13 PM3/15/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Dear Satish ji, this plant is not C. wightii (which is a stiff, woody, thorny, irregularly branched shrub or small tree found in arid parts of Rajasthan).

Commiphora stocksiana is a different species confined to W.Pakisthan. http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=250063166

Satish Phadke

Mar 17, 2010, 2:05:35 AM3/17/10
to R. Vijayasankar, indiantreepix Indian
Dear Vijaysankar ji and Rohit ji
This plant is Commiphora stocksiana (Bayisa gugal)
also confirmed by Srikant ji as it has no thorns.
Rohit ji I think you are looking for the same plant name rather than some other spellings.
This is my personal opinion unless you find some other plant with the names as you are suggesting. I think as this is from same Burseraceae family from which we get the conventional Salai tree (Boswellia serrata)the source of medicinal Gugul. This tree must be oosing out some kind of Gugul........
Dr Phadke Satish

R. Vijayasankar

Mar 17, 2010, 11:32:00 AM3/17/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Thanks for the clarification, Satish ji. Its a new plant for me.

Kindly let us know the status of occurrence of this species. Does it occur in wild? where? or is it planted? Infact, if i am right, all members of Burseraceae family have the character of exuding gum. However, the original medicinal gum 'Guggul' is extracted from Commiphora mukul = C. wightii (but in the market samples you can see many adulterations including the gum of mango tree). Majority of the Guggul found in indian markets is imported from Pakistan. And as far as i know C. stocksiana is restricted to Pakistan. (i don't know the erstwhite Presidence of Bombay included some part of Pakisthan too, that's why Cooke included in his flora?).

J.M. Garg

Apr 15, 2010, 6:30:24 AM4/15/10
to efloraofindia, satish phadke, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, grassman, Rohit Patel, Tabish

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“After looking at Muthu ji's pictures of Commiphora caudata I searched one plant posted by me on 22Feb 09.Which was also suggested to be from Burseraceae and aptly as Commidora sp. by grassman.

Now again resurfacing for validation
Thanks

Dr Phadke Satish”

“Yes Satish ji, i too think it is Commiphora caudata.” from Vijayasankar ji.

. http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=250063166” from Vijayasankar ji.

[...]

Apr 17, 2018, 4:52:51 AM4/17/18
to efloraofindia
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to indiantreepix+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

DSCN2092s.jpg
DSCN2104s.jpg
DSCN2105s.jpg
DSCN2108s.jpg

J.M. Garg

Apr 17, 2018, 5:26:17 AM4/17/18
to efloraofindia, Satish Phadke, Vijayasankar Raman, Muthu Karthick, Rohit Patel, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
I agree with Vijayasankar ji as per images, references and details at Commiphora caudata

Commiphora stocksiana (Engl.) Engl. is not reported from the area as per the following:
Catalogue of Life (syn. of Commiphora gileadensis (L.) C. Christ.)

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2975 members & 2,90,000 messages on 31.3.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 12,000 species & 3,00,000 images).

DSCN2092s.jpg
DSCN2104s.jpg
DSCN2105s.jpg
DSCN2108s.jpg