Re: [efloraofindia:0] Duchesnea indica from Kashmir

tanay bose

Jul 31, 2010, 11:28:44 PM7/31/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Nice catch of the wild strawberry!!
Sir if I am not wrong then I have observed this plant in Eastern Himalaya also precisely in the Gangtok region.

Tanay

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:
Duchesnea indica (syn: Fragaria indica) from Kashmir, growing commonly in forests and shaded slopes, photographed from Pahalgam on 24 June, 2010 and Mohra on June 26, 2010. The fruits may trick you for real strawberry, but only after eating you will know that they are tasteless. Three 3-toothed each epicalyx can help you differentiate. Also the fruit size is smaller. Of course yellow colour of flowers is another identifying feature.

Common name: Mock strawberry, Indian strawberry, False strawberry, Yellow-flowered strawberry
Chinese: She mei

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

tanay bose

Jul 31, 2010, 11:41:17 PM7/31/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks for your confirmation
Tanay

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:
Must have, it is very common in Himalayas.

--

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 31, 2010, 11:45:44 PM7/31/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
I think this plant is also available in the Gangetic plains. the wild
strawberry,....
Regards
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 31, 2010, 11:16:47 PM7/31/10
to efloraofindia
Duchesnea-indica-Kashmir-a.jpg
Duchesnea-indica-Kashmir-b.jpg
Duchesnea-indica-Kashmir-c.jpg

promila chaturvedi

Aug 1, 2010, 9:38:55 AM8/1/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
I have eaten these wild strawberries at Namdapha.