Cerbera manghas, Lalbaug, Bengalaru.

rashida atthar

Mar 11, 2009, 12:27:11 PM3/11/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Garg ji & all,

This  Cerbera manghas  (Jawa) was seen flowering by me at Lalbaug, Bengalaru on 16 th Feb '09. The flowers have good fragrance, but my wiki search has informed that most of the parts are poisonous ! I quote " The genus is named after cerberus because all its part are poisonous: they contain cerberin, a cardiac glycoside, a substance that blocks electric impulses in the body (including the beating of the heart). Never use cerbera wood to light a fire. Even its smoke may cause poisoning". !!

regards,

Rashida Atthar

How fun is this? IMing with Windows Live Messenger just got better.
Foliage of Jawa tree.jpg
Jawa tree flowers .jpg

Yazdy Palia

Mar 11, 2009, 1:24:15 PM3/11/09