Asteraceae Fortnight Part 2-Discoid heads- Cirsium falconeri from Kashmir-GS30

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 8, 2013, 6:17:31 AM6/8/13
to efloraofindia
Cirsium falconeri (Hook.f.) Petrak
Syn: Cnicus falconeri Hook.f
One of the most beautiful species of Cirsium found at altitudes above 2200 m. The whole plant is covered with whitish spines, even on upper surface of leaves. The heads are very large, cream coloured and nodding, Involucre bracts are woolly and with long pale spines. Photographed from Kashmir.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

chrischa...@btinternet.com

Dec 15, 2016, 6:01:49 PM12/15/16
to efloraofindia
I missed this one.  Good, the two images from Gulmarg are correctly identified but the third (don't understand why an image from near Manali would be
added) does not match.   I shall be commenting further in due course.  My focus is on Inula at present.

J.M. Garg

Dec 16, 2016, 12:35:26 AM12/16/16
to chrischa...@btinternet.com, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh

Thanks a lot,  Chadwell ji.

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 9, 2021, 9:15:41 AM6/9/21
to efloraofindia
Very true, image from Manali should be excluded.

On Friday, December 16, 2016 at 11:05:26 AM UTC+5:30 JM Garg wrote:

Thanks a lot,  Chadwell ji.

On Saturday, June 8, 2013 at 11:17:31 AM UTC+1, Gurcharan Singh wrote:
Cirsium falconeri (Hook.f.) Petrak
Syn: Cnicus falconeri Hook.f
One of the most beautiful species of Cirsium found at altitudes above 2200 m. The whole plant is covered with whitish spines, even on upper surface of leaves. The heads are very large, cream coloured and nodding, Involucre bracts are woolly and with long pale spines. Photographed from Kashmir.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 9, 2021, 11:21:06 AM6/9/21
to efloraofindia
Manali plant added by error is C. wallichii

Mahadeswara

Jun 9, 2021, 11:57:29 PM6/9/21
to efloraofindia
Awesome photographs !