Plant from Palpur kuno Wild life Sanctuary – NSD 71

Nayan Singh

Oct 27, 2009, 1:42:41 PM10/27/09
to indiantreepix, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com

Friends,

Photographed this small herb on 24-10-09 in Palpur Kuno Wild life Sancturay

I think this is from Portulacaceae family

Experts please help me in identification of this plant

Thanks in advance

Nayan

N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Keep up with people you care about with Yahoo! India Mail. Learn how.
Portulacaceae.jpg

J.M. Garg

Oct 29, 2009, 2:22:09 AM10/29/09
to Nayan Singh, indiantreepix
Reply from Noorie ji:
"Hi,

I presume the plant to be portulaca oleracea, commonly known as khursa, kulfa.
It is characterised by fleshy spirally arranged or subopposite leaves and yellow flowers.

Regards,
Noorie"

Tabish

Oct 29, 2009, 6:02:07 AM10/29/09
to indiantreepix
Portulaca oleracea has 5 petals which are deeply notched at the tip.
This one could be Chicken weed (Portulaca quadrifida) which has 4
petals and small leaves. Can't be sure if everything else matches
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Chicken%20Weed.html
- Tabish

On Oct 29, 11:22 am, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Reply from Noorie ji:
> "Hi,
>
> I presume the plant to be *portulaca oleracea*, commonly known as *khursa,
> kulfa*.
> It is characterised by fleshy spirally arranged or subopposite leaves and
> yellow flowers.
>
> Regards,
> Noorie"
>
> 2009/10/27 Nayan Singh <ns_dungri...@yahoo.co.in>
>

> >    Friends,
>
> > Photographed this small herb on 24-10-09 in Palpur Kuno Wild life Sancturay
>
> > I think this is from Portulacaceae family
>
> > Experts please help me in identification of this plant
>
> > Thanks in advance
>
> > Nayan
>
> > N.S.Dungriyal IFS
> > Chief Conservator of Forests
> > and Field Director
> > Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
> > M.P.
> > 09424792100
>
> > ------------------------------
> > Keep up with people you care about with Yahoo! India Mail. Learn how<http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_galaxy_1/*http://in.overview.mail.yaho...>
> > .
>
> --
> With regards,
> J.M.Garg (jmga...@gmail.com)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1

Nayan Singh

Oct 29, 2009, 9:42:14 AM10/29/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
Dear Tabish ji
Gurcharan Singh ji has already identified it as Portulaca quardrifida in wildflower of India group and illutrated as following -

It is not Portulaca oleracea. Please notice four petals. The plant is P. quadrifida, having leaves much smaller than P. oleracea, ovate-lanceolate in shape (and not spathulate).

thanks