Copperpod (Peeli Gulmohar- Peltophorum pterocarpum)

J.M. Garg

Jul 5, 2007, 2:05:07 AM7/5/07
to indiantreepix
A middle sized deciduous tree flowering twice in a year with twice feathered leaves, smooth silvery grey bark, rust coloured pods & spreading crown, it is called as Peeli Gulmohar in Hindi & Arjunjyoti in Bangla. It is extensively seen in Kolkata in Parks, Avenues etc. for its shade & flowers. It's canopy & underlying branches are very good perches & nesting place for most of the local common birds as seen in some of the pictures. I have many trees of Copperpod surrounding my house at 5th floor at New Alipore, Kolkata. All the pictures taken from my flat.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For learning about our trees & plants, please visit http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en
Bark I IMG_5142.jpg
Flower, buds, leaves, fruit I IMG_1594.jpg
Flowering canopy I IMG_1877.jpg
Leaves & new buds I IMG_1312.jpg
Tree in new leaves I IMG_2959.jpg