For Id 030710MN

mani nair

Jul 2, 2010, 11:23:12 PM7/2/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

Sending a photo of the flower for identification.

Date/Time-

 9th June 2009     9.00 a.m.

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-

 Lidder Valley, Pahalgam, Kashmir

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

Wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-

 Shrub

Height/Length-

 2 mtr.

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts

white

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

 No

kash.JPG

mani nair

Jul 3, 2010, 11:18:15 AM7/3/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Kindly identify the flower.

Regards,

Mani.

kash.JPG

Tabish

Jul 3, 2010, 11:25:08 AM7/3/10
to efloraofindia
Looks like American Elder (Sambucus canadensis), a plant widely
naturalized in India.
http://www.floridata.com/ref/s/samb_can.cfm
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/American%20Elder.html
- Tabish
>  kash.JPG
> 234KViewDownload

mani nair

Jul 3, 2010, 11:59:23 AM7/3/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Thanks Tabishji for the  ID.

Regards,

Mani.

Alpa Sheth

Jul 3, 2010, 3:35:05 PM7/3/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi:

I assume this is also American Elder? Seen at Khillinmarg, June 29 2010.
Approx 1m height.

regards,
Alpa

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 8:55 PM, Tabish <tab...@gmail.com> wrote:
flower k'marg 2.JPG

nabha meghani

Jul 3, 2010, 4:02:00 PM7/3/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mani ji,
Sambucus (elder or elderberry) is correct, perhaps javanica? German name Holunder
Sending some fotos from my garden taken in June 2010.

The flowers have a very pleasent smell. Syrup or jelly are made from the flowers. One can also make pakodas, or pancakes using these flowers. Later from the black ripe berries jam or juce is prepared. The ripe berries have lot of C-vitamine. Just over the last weekend I spent quite some time making jelly and syrup, because it is something very special, which we normally don't get in the shops.

Regards
Nalini

Looks like American Elder (Sambucus canadensis), a plant widely
naturalized in India.
 http://www.floridata.com/ref/s/samb_can.cfm
 http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/American%20Elder.html
- Tabish

Holunder-100_6768.jpg
Holunder-100_6766.jpg
Holunder-100_6764.jpg
Holunder-100_6765.jpg

mani nair

Jul 3, 2010, 9:08:56 PM7/3/10
to nabha meghani, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Naliniji, for the information and wish you all the best in your jelly and syrup preparation.

Regards,

Mani.

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 3, 2010, 9:27:24 PM7/3/10
to mani nair, nabha meghani, indian...@googlegroups.com
I think we have mixed up the plants
The first three from Kashmir are Sambucus wightiana. It is a herbaceous plant usually up to 1.2 m in height, and very common on mountain slopes. The plant uploaded by Nabha ji is a cultivated shrub and may be S. canadensis.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

nabha