Sadaphuli

mani nair

Jun 20, 2010, 11:44:40 AM6/20/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

Sending herewith a photo of Sadhaphuli shot at Uruli Kanchan Ashram, Pune.

Hope you likes it.

Regards,

Mani.
sadhaphuli.jpg

tanay bose

Jun 20, 2010, 12:36:43 PM6/20/10
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com

Catharanthus roseus (L.) G.Don

Synonym: Vinca rosea

More info : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharanthus_roseus

Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

nabha meghani

Jun 20, 2010, 2:29:14 PM6/20/10
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sadaphuli from my garden. Vinca major
Regards
Nalini

--
100_6824-k.jpg
100_6825-k.jpg

tanay bose

Jun 20, 2010, 10:46:28 PM6/20/10
to nabha meghani, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Nalini Ji,
I am not sure about local names but do all species of Vinca is called "Shadaphuli" in hindi ?
Tanay

Vijayadas D

Jun 21, 2010, 12:40:42 AM6/21/10
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
In Malayalam ,Savam nari (smell of dead body)

Vijayadas D
Horticulturist EstateSupervisorDeputy
Salwa Garden Village, PB -7210
Riyadh -11462 , KSA
vijayadas.wetpaint.com

mani nair

Jun 21, 2010, 1:45:07 AM6/21/10
to Vijayadas D, indian...@googlegroups.com
In Hindi and Marathi it is called Sadhaphuli, because the plant is always in flower and you will not see a mature plant without flower.

Regards,

Mani.

nabha meghani

Jun 21, 2010, 5:31:12 AM6/21/10
to tanay bose, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hallo Tanaya ji and others,
wikipedia says "The name is pronounced /ˈvɪŋkə/,[4] deriving from Latin vincire: "to bind, fetter".  The german name of Vinca major is immergrün = green all the time, meaning even in winter, when other plants shed the leaves. Indeed the plant in my garden is green, even in winter and also has flowers in winter if the plant is not covered with snow.
As I am not a botanist, I can't answer your question. Sorry.

mani nair

Jun 21, 2010, 5:31:27 AM6/21/10
to nabha meghani, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Tanayji, we call Sadhaphuli the white and pink variety, I do not know  the name of flower sent by Naliniji  in Hindi and Marathi,  waiting for answers.

Regards,

Mani.

tanay bose

Jun 21, 2010, 7:36:32 AM6/21/10
to mani nair, nabha meghani, indian...@googlegroups.com
This what I wanted to know Mani Ji !!!  Is the common name "sadaphuli" applicable to all Vinca species ??? this just to update myself!!
Tanay

Padmini Raghavan

Jun 21, 2010, 1:42:13 PM6/21/10
to nabha meghani, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Both the petals and leaves of this plant appear to be different from our Indian Vinca rosea or Catharanthus roseus.
Is it the same species?
Padmini Raghavan.

tanay bose

Jun 21, 2010, 11:43:16 PM6/21/10