Hopefully a bit less fuzzy!

Kiran Srivastava

Aug 3, 2008, 11:16:17 PM8/3/08
to Flowers of India, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, indian...@googlegroups.com

I had posted these extremely tiny white flowers on 11th July 08 but they could not be identified because the photographs were very poor. I went back to Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Mumbai this morning to check these flowers again. I am posting some more photographs, hopefully a bit better, that may aid in its identification. Any clues please?

Incidentally, this is the same area where the Dipcadi saxorum, endemic to Sanjay Gandhi National Park(SGNP), was found in abundance last month. I didn’t see them yesterday. Other vegetation has taken over the rocky hill and a few flowers of Graham’s Grounsel, another endemic to Western Ghats were seen.

Cheers,

Kiran Srivastava

Mumbai

kir...@vsnl.net

P1040772.JPG
P1040770-1.jpg
P1040773-1.jpg

J.M. Garg

Aug 10, 2008, 4:57:41 AM8/10/08
to Kiran Srivastava, Flowers of India, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sending again for Id pl. Any clue about its family?
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Chitra Shanker

Aug 10, 2008, 9:24:04 AM8/10/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
The flower seems to be of Mollugo verticillata
Chitra

J.M. Garg

Aug 10, 2008, 9:59:15 AM8/10/08
to Chitra Shanker, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Chitra ji for Id help. Here is a very good link for Mollugo verticillata: http://www.missouriplants.com/Whiteopp/Mollugo_verticillata_page.html. But I think it doesn't matches with the few aspects like flower arrangement, colour of overy (?) etc.
On checking with Shrikant ji's book, he mentions another species Mollugo pentaphylla (Jharasi), which I think may be Kiran's species. Here are links for its details: http://flickr.com/photos/91314344@N00/1392046752, http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/1438151548/ & http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=200007016