Patal flower

Abhay Tiwari

Jul 22, 2010, 10:56:05 PM7/22/10
to efloraofindia
I recently gathered that rose is also known in Sanskrit as Patal/
पाटल. The other meaning of Sanskrit पाटल (पाढल/पादर in Hindi) refers
to a tree by the same name that has a pinkish red flower. Any idea
about this tree?

Abhay Tiwari

Jul 22, 2010, 11:01:20 PM7/22/10
to efloraofindia
The leaves of the said Patal tree are shaped like Bael leaves.
here is a link for this info.- http://www.abhilash.org/bs/home.php?mean=71719

Dinesh Valke

Jul 23, 2010, 12:01:12 AM7/23/10
to Abhay Tiwari, efloraofindia
Abhay ji,

Leaves like bael reminds us Crataeva spp. (C. religiosa) ... but could not find any of its names as patal.

There is Stereospermum colais ... commonly known as: yellow snake tree • Bengali: পারুল parul • Gujarati: પાડેલી padeli • Hindi: पारल paral, पारोली paroli, पाटल patal • Kannada: ಕಲಾದ್ರಿ kalaadri, ಪಾದರಿ paadari • Konkani: पाडल paadal • Malayalam: കരിങ്ങഴ karingazha, പാതിരി paathiri, പൂപ്പാതിരി puuppaathiri • Marathi: पाडळ padal, पाडळी padali • Mizoram: zinghal • Oriya: pamphunia • Sanskrit: पाटल patal, पाटला patala, पाटलि patali • Tamil: அம்பு ampu, அம்புவாகினி ampuvakini, பாடலம் patalam, பாதிரி patiri, புன்காலி punkali • Telugu: అంబువాసిని ambuvasini, కలిగొట్టు kaligottu, పాదిరి padiri, పాటల patala • Urdu: پارل paral, پاٿل patal

However this S. colais does not have tri-foliate leaves like bael.

Reference: A dictionary of Urdu, classical Hindi, and English
... http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/search3advanced?dbname=platts&query=%E0%A4%AA%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%9F%E0%A4%B2&matchtype=exact&display=utf8

Let us wait for comments.

Regards.

Tabish

Jul 23, 2010, 2:34:07 AM7/23/10
to efloraofindia
A tree more commonly known as Patal is Stereospermum chelonoides.
Leaves are not trifoliate, but compound. However, the leaflets do
resemble Bel tree leaves.
http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=45531&flora_id=110
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Stereospermum_chelonoides_Blanco2.252-original.png
- Tabish

On Jul 23, 9:01 am, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Abhay ji,
>
> Leaves like bael reminds us Crataeva spp. (C. religiosa) ... but could not
> find any of its names as patal.
>

> There is *Stereospermum colais* ... commonly known as: yellow snake tree •

> Bengali: পারুল parul • Gujarati: પાડેલી padeli • Hindi: पारल paral, पारोली
> paroli, पाटल patal • Kannada: ಕಲಾದ್ರಿ kalaadri, ಪಾದರಿ paadari • Konkani: पाडल
> paadal • Malayalam: കരിങ്ങഴ karingazha, പാതിരി paathiri, പൂപ്പാതിരി
> puuppaathiri • Marathi: पाडळ padal, पाडळी padali • Mizoram: zinghal • Oriya:
> pamphunia • Sanskrit: पाटल patal, पाटला patala, पाटलि patali • Tamil: அம்பு
> ampu, அம்புவாகினி ampuvakini, பாடலம் patalam, பாதிரி patiri, புன்காலி
> punkali • Telugu: అంబువాసిని ambuvasini, కలిగొట్టు kaligottu, పాదిరి padiri,
> పాటల patala • Urdu: پارل paral, پاٿل patal
>

> However this *S. colais* does not have tri-foliate leaves like bael.

> Reference: A dictionary of Urdu, classical Hindi, and English

> ...http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/search3advanced?dbname=pl...

> Let us wait for comments.
>
> Regards.

Abhay Tiwari

Jul 23, 2010, 7:12:33 AM7/23/10
to efloraofindia
Many thanks Dinshji and Tabish. The second link given by Tabish shows
a picture that has redish flowers, this could be our Patal. Thanks.

On Jul 23, 11:34 am, Tabish <tabi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A tree more commonly known as Patal is Stereospermum chelonoides.
> Leaves are not trifoliate, but compound. However, the leaflets do
> resemble Bel tree leaves.
>  http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=45531&flora_id=110

>  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Stereospermum_chelonoides_Blan...

Dinesh Valke

Jul 23, 2010, 7:43:49 AM7/23/10
to Abhay Tiwari, efloraofindia
... yes, Tabish has rightly pointed out... as well seen in the earlier posts.

At Forest Flora of Andhra Pradesh
... http://forest.ap.nic.in/Forest%20Flora%20of%20Andhra%20Pradesh/Family/Bignoniaceae.htm
there is either some confusion or substance.

Yellow-Flowered Fragrant Trumpet Flower: Stereospermum personatum, Stereospermum chelonoides, Bignonia chelonoides, Stereospermum tetragonum
Rose-Flowered Fragrant Trumpet Flower, Padiri: Stereospermum suaveolens, Bignonia suaveolens

The more digging into Stereospermum, finding that various sites have mixed up and mismatch of names and synonyms

Regards.