Bauhinia in Central India 1

Nayan Singh

Jan 18, 2009, 1:45:39 PM1/18/09
to indiantreepix, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com
Friends
I have observed may Bauhinia species from different parts of Central India.
I am enclosing their photographs
I hope ID is correct
Experts please comment

Cheers
N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Check out the all-new Messenger 9.0! Click here.
Bauhinia malabarica.jpg
Bauhina recemosa.JPG
Bauhinia semla (syn B retusa).jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jan 18, 2009, 1:51:31 PM1/18/09
to Nayan Singh, indiantreepix, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com
Nayan ji, I am certain about Bauhina recemosa.JPG
Here are what I am believing to be B. racemosa : http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Bauhinia%20racemosa&w=91314344%40N00
Regards.

Kenneth Greby

Jan 18, 2009, 1:55:15 PM1/18/09
to indiantreepix, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, Nayan Singh
 Thanks for the pictures.

 Is it true that B. malabarica is now considered simply as a lighter-colored form of B. purpurea instead of a valid species?

Regards--
Ken Greby
Palmetto Bay, Florida USA

Nayan Singh

Jan 18, 2009, 9:04:57 PM1/18/09
to Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Dinesh ji Thanks for your resposn

N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Jan 19, 2009, 3:01:34 AM1/19/09
to Dinesh Valke, Nayan Singh, indiantreepix, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com
I will be grateful to have a picture of the bauhinia creeper the leaves of which are used for making pattal (leaf plates).
akbhatt

J.M. Garg

Jan 19, 2009, 12:44:56 PM1/19/09
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Dinesh Valke, Nayan Singh, indiantreepix
Hi, Nayan ji,
This link shows Bauhinia malabarica as syn. with Bauhinia purpurea: http://www.bpi.da.gov.ph/Publications/mp/pdf/a/alibangbang.pdf
My first two attachments are of Bauhinia purpurea & links of Bauhinia purpurea pods: http://flora.huh.harvard.edu/FloraData/110/TaxonImage/Leguminosae/Bauhinia%20purpurea.jpg
I don't think your pods are of Bauhinia malabarica as per above links as well as per my own experience.

My third attachment is of what I think is of Bauhinia racemosa, which I took in Hyderabad in Dec.'08.
Your 1st & 3rd pods may be of Bauhinia racemosa: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jhinjheri_(Bauhinia_racemosa)_leaves_%26_fruit_pods_in_Hyderabad,_AP_W_IMG_7117.jpg (this picture was taken in June'08 while your pictures are of July & Aug month) or of some other Bauhinia species. My guess is that both your first & last picture may be of Bauhinia racemosa (as they look quite similar & around same month). I am not aware of Bauhinia semla species.
If you have other pictures of these trees showing leaves, trunk, flowers etc., you are requested to post them.

From Indiantreepix Database about Bauhinia racemosa:
2009/1/19 Anand Kumar Bhatt <anand...@gmail.com>

Fruit I IMG_2137.jpg
Leaves & Pods I IMG_2790.jpg
Jhinjheri (Bauhinia racemosa) pods- is it, in Hyderabad I IMG_4280.jpg

J.M. Garg

Feb 26, 2009, 3:10:03 AM2/26/09
to indiantreepix
Forwarding again for more feedback & comments pl.

Feb 27, 2009, 8:36:42 AM2/27/09
to indiantreepix
Here is a reply:
"dear sir,
The first and second photos look like the same as Bauhinia malabarica (leaves and fruit will taste sour if chewed) and B.racemosa respectivley. But the third one seems to be different. Confirmation through photo bit difficult in some cases. In this (B.semla= B. retusa)  case flowers are small and cream coloured in terminal panicle.
kunhikannan"