Sterculia foetida (Wild Almond) fruits

J.M. Garg

Aug 11, 2009, 11:10:22 PM8/11/09
to indiantreepix
Just to show the colours of these.
On 13/6/09 in Hyderabad, AP.
 --
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Sterculia foetida (Wild Almond) fruits I IMG_8878.jpg
Sterculia foetida (Wild Almond) fruits I IMG_8881.jpg
Sterculia foetida (Wild Almond) fruits I IMG_8883.jpg

shubhada nikharge

Aug 12, 2009, 2:11:17 AM8/12/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Few more pics of Sterculia foetida. (bark, flowers and dried fruits)
cheers,
shubhada

Aug 12, 2009, 2:26:29 AM8/12/09
to shubhada nikharge, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
... many thanks for photo of flowers, Shubhada ji.
Regards.

satish phadke

Aug 12, 2009, 3:24:37 AM8/12/09
to Dinesh Valke, shubhada nikharge, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
I think the flowers are little different than what I have observed.
Dr Phadke
Look at the attached picture and the link.
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Java%20Olive.html

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com
S.fetida DSCN1920p.jpg

Pankaj Oudhia

Aug 12, 2009, 3:43:18 AM8/12/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Whenever you see any Sterculia sp. please do the act of "गले मिलना"
with it up to at least 1 minute. According to Traditional Healers it
is beneficial for general health and specific diseases. Please see
this picture. The Healer is showing same process on Pipal.

http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20p?see=I_PAO6535&res=640

Related Document

Tree shades are waiting to cure your health troubles.
by
Pankaj Oudhia

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=earticleView&earticleId=951&page=-2

[Just ignore "sign in" key at bottom. It is for editors only.]

Pankaj Oudhia

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:41 AM, shubhada

Madhuri Pejaver

Aug 12, 2009, 3:18:23 AM8/12/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, shubhada nikharge
Too Good Shubhadaji
especially the close up of flowers i liked very much. The plant is too tall otherwise to see the flowers.
thanks
Madhuri

Aug 12, 2009, 11:23:37 AM8/12/09
to satish phadke, Dinesh Valke, shubhada nikharge, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Mr Satish ji
It will more useful if differences noticed are pointed out. I have not been able to find any.

Gurcharan Singh

Dinesh Valke

Aug 12, 2009, 12:56:31 PM8/12/09
to Gurcharan Singh, satish phadke, shubhada nikharge, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
... what makes the sight different is that the flowering seems to be happening while there are no leaves around.
I am referring to my own sightings, where I get to see flowering in a profuse manner in much branched ¿ panicles ? arising from tender branches, and just below canopy of leaves.

Whatever Shubhada ji has sighted is certainly interesting ... flowering twig stemming from altogether dried-up branch with no scars of fallen leaves.

Regards.
2334261811_92a3fe2027_b.jpg
2095927108_66cc76edec_o.jpg
2334250747_70c2076a84_b.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 12, 2009, 1:27:15 PM8/12/09
to Dinesh Valke, satish phadke, shubhada nikharge, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Dear Dinesh ji
I don't think there is anything peculiar.
1. The flowers in your photograph and that by Shubhada are similar. The photograph reproduced by Pradip Kishen in his book Trees of Delhi are very similar to Shubhada from old leafless branch.
2. Sterculia foetida in Delhi produces new leaves in late March or early April, flowers mid to Late March, so it should not be unusual to see young leaves (in your photograph) along with the inflorescences with flowers.

satish phadke

Aug 12, 2009, 1:43:04 PM8/12/09
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, shubhada nikharge, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Dear Gurcharanji and Dinesh ji
The Sterculia foetida tree photographed by me is visible from my fifth floor flat balcony.
What I have observed for several years is :
The flowering starts on a leafless tree. The new leaves start appearing and the flowering still continues. It depends when you take the photograph.........if late you may have a photograph of both as seen in Mine and Dinesh's pictures as well as that on Flowers of India website.
The difference I wanted to point is:
     The pattern of colouring in Shubhada's flowers. The petals are more triangular and the red colour is restricted to the central portion of the petals. Whereas in my picture the petals are much darker reddish (Even the younger petals have red spots till the periphery.)and they are thinner and longish rather than equilateral triangle. My picture have been taken in Feb.
Dr Phadke

2009/8/12 Gurcharan Singh <sin...@sify.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

Dinesh Valke

Aug 12, 2009, 1:43:39 PM8/12/09
to Gurcharan Singh, satish phadke, shubhada nikharge, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Many thanks for validating the IDs and clarifying the differences, Gurgcharan ji.

shubhada nikharge

Aug 13, 2009, 1:00:44 AM8/13/09
to satish phadke, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Hi,
In Shrikant's book, flowers are of both colours,  red as well as yellow with red in the centre.
However after so many doubts raised by the experts, i feel that i am making a mistake.

I had taken these pics many years ago in Goregaon, Mumbai in the month of Jan. The tree was leafless when photographed.

The flowers were identified instantly by a botany student.

When I searched my old pics which were not sorted very systematically at that time, i could find pics of fruits too. However, these fruits  look different in shape and size.
i have attached more pics of fruits and flowers.

i hope this will help the experts to identify the tree.
Extremely sorry for not putting up the pics of fruits along with flowers and wasting time of the experts in guessing.
sorry again,
shubhada

Aug 13, 2009, 1:50:08 AM8/13/09
to shubhada nikharge, satish phadke, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 13, 2009, 9:54:15 AM8/13/09
to J.M. Garg, shubhada nikharge, satish phadke, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
After looking at various posts concerning Sterculia foetida, I have noted down the following things:

1. Sterculia foetida and S. villosa may produce similar looking flowers, but clearly differ in leaves. S. foetita has digitate leaves with 7-9 leaflets, whereas S. villosa has 5-7 lobed simple leaves. Both have red ripe fruits, but those of S. foetida are glabrous outside and those of S. villosa hairy outside.
2. The photographs uploaded by Dinesh Valke (post 15788 at .55 in my computer with one photo; 15788 at 22.26 with three photos- I wonder how two posts with different content can have same serial number. Garg ji please do something about this) and Naresh Pancholi (post 15809) all belong to S. foetida. Luckily leaves, which my friend Dinesh was wondering why they are there, have helped in confirming identification. The photograph by J M Garg (15772) has clearly glabrous fruits, and evidently belong to S. foetida.
3. The photographs by Shubhada Nikharge (15781)unfortunately are without leaves, but the fruit although sufficiently dried and not showing any red colour is clearly hairy outside and evidently may belong to S villosa. The photographs in Indiatreepix Database are without fruits and leaves. Perhaps any one having photographs of leaves, flowers and fruits from the same tree may clinch the issue conclusively.

Thanks for your your photographs Dinesh ji, Naresh ji, Garg ji and Shubhada ji.

shubhada nikharge

Aug 13, 2009, 3:30:14 PM8/13/09
to Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, satish phadke, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Gucharan ji,
Thanx very much for the detailed reply  and the efforts taken to resolve the issue.

i am now posting 2 more pics of leaves ( leaves are 5 lobed). The date and time of the photographs of leaves is same as that of the flowers. The small part of bark seen in both pics ( flowers and leaves) look alike.

So I feel we can now conclude it as S. villosa.

thanx Satish ji, Grag ji, Dinesh ji and naresh ji for all the help.
Sorry again for creating the confusion.
cheers,
shubhada

Aug 13, 2009, 11:57:02 PM8/13/09
to shubhada nikharge, J.M. Garg, satish phadke, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
The leaves resolve the issue conclusively. It is S. villosa

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 14, 2009, 1:26:51 AM8/14/09
to shubhada nikharge, J.M. Garg, satish phadke, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Shubhada ji

Your latest mail (in thread on Shevla) prompted me to have a relook at photgraphs. When I compared all the the photographs available with me: sent by Dinesh Valke, Naresh Pancholi, J M Garg, yourself and one of S villosa on Indiatreepix website, I had noticed a few things: The fruit in your photograph was more leathery, more hairy and radiating out, the petals lighter in colour than S. villosa of Indiatreepix database.
    Today when you sent the photograph of leaves and I had a second look at these, they are much shallowly lobed than S. villosa. They fit better with S. urens. If you are sure that these leaves belong to the same tree from which you sent the flowers and fruits, then perhaps your whole material is S. urens.
Let the discussion continue. Something may come out.It is better to investigate the issues further.

Gurcharan Singh
Aug 14, 2009, 3:42:35 AM8/14/09
to Dinesh Valke, shubhada nikharge, J.M. Garg, satish phadke, indiantreepix
Dinesh ji
It was the leaf photograph which prompted me to S. urens. Shubhada had also initially identified this leaf as S. urens.
Just have a look at this image of leaf below.

I must mention that I have never seen live specimens of Sterculia. Perhaps those of you who have access to live specimens can explore further. I have descriptions of S urens from Brandis (Indian trees) and FBI. If you have description of these three species from some recent  book with relevant key (Efloras of Pakistan and China do not include S urens- in flora of Pakistan they identify their S. urens specimens  with Firmiana simplex, totally distinct from recognised S. urens) , you may kindly forward it for further comparison

Neil Soares

Aug 14, 2009, 9:11:02 AM8/14/09
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, shubhada nikharge, J.M. Garg, satish phadke, indiantreepix
Hi Shubhada,
  Agree with Mr.Garg and Dinesh. It is Sterculia villosa.
                    Regards,
                      Neil.

satish phadke

Aug 14, 2009, 9:52:06 AM8/14/09
to Neil Soares, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, shubhada nikharge, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Anyway thanks for showing flowers of Sterculia villosa which is difficult to capture. I have only seen one tree in Goa so far with flowers high up in the sky.
Dr Phadke

2009/8/14 Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com