[efloraofindia:34988] Tree for id 170510MK2

Muthu Karthick

May 17, 2010, 2:25:44 AM5/17/10
to indiantreepix
Dear all,
Kindly id this lofty tree found commonly in the moist deciduous forests of Mudumalai WLS. I noticed this tree also on the banks of river.

Date/Time-

01-05-2010 / 02:00 PM

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-

Mudumalai WLS; 860 msl; TN

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

Moist Deciduous Forest

Plant Habit-

large tree

Height/Length-

Up to 2 metre

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

pinnate; 5 x 15cm

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

3.5 x 1.5cm; hooks on the surface of fruits

mature fruits are edible and are relished by Monkeys

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

E 153.jpg
E 148.jpg
E 149.jpg
E 150.jpg
E 151.jpg
E 152.jpg

Muthu Karthick

May 17, 2010, 2:38:58 AM5/17/10
to indiantreepix

Dear all,
Kindly id this lofty tree found commonly in the moist deciduous forests of Mudumalai WLS. I noticed this tree also on the banks of river.

Local name: saakkada maram
E 153.jpg
E 148.jpg
E 149.jpg
E 150.jpg
E 151.jpg
E 152.jpg

Parjanya guru

May 17, 2010, 2:42:35 AM5/17/10
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Schleichera oleosa (Lour.) Oken =Schleichera trijuga Willd.
.. I feel so strongly.

  With regards,
  Parjanya Guru
+919738723392

Muthu Karthick

tanay bose

May 17, 2010, 6:30:41 AM5/17/10
to Muthu Karthick, Parjanya guru, indiantreepix
Schleichera oleosa  indeed !!!
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Satish Phadke

May 17, 2010, 7:14:38 AM5/17/10
to Muthu Karthick, Parjanya guru, indiantreepix
Nice to see the fruits. I have seen its flowers in Pune.Not seen getting them converted to fruits.
Dr Phadke

Parjanya guru

May 19, 2010, 6:33:48 AM5/19/10
to Satish Phadke, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
... Some information on the fruits of this tree...
... In Karnataka, specially coastal Karnataka, tribal people  are very much fond of the fruits... The fruit, being slightly sour in taste gives them immense pleasure and it is a pleasure indeed to see the bubles coming out from their mouth....
........... I regret for not having a snap of that scene..!!!!

  With regards,
  Parjanya Guru
+919738723392