Chromolaena odorata from Delhi?

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 13, 2009, 12:35:58 PM11/13/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
I was a happy man when I concentrated only on wild plants, and showed little or no interest in Cultivated plants. Blame Garg ji and Tabish ji, now I want name of every plant I see and click. I was happy to call this small cultivated border plant as some species Eupatorium. Today I sat for several hours to know that Eupatorium is a large genus now split into several smaller genera. Closest I could go is Chromolaena odorata. I need your confirmation on this.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 13, 2009, 12:49:33 PM11/13/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
I was trying to fit in this plant from Flora of North America. The plant fits better with Chromolaena frustrata, but I am not sure.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 13, 2009, 9:28:29 PM11/13/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
After coming back home I found that my dilemma is there on Flowers of India website. Chromolaena odorata figures on this website with two photographs: one by dinesh ji (which matches C. odorata of FNA eflora: Leaves 5-10 cm long, 1-4 cm broad, involucre 8-10 mm, heads  5–50, corymbiform; apices of the inner sometimes slightly white-petaloid or expanded ), and one by Girija ji (which matches mine and C. frustrata of FNA: leaves mostly 1.5–4 long,  0.7–2.2 cm broad, , heads usually in clusters of 2–6; involucre  5.5–7.5(–8) mm, apices of the inner not petaloid or expanded). I tried to look for all plants in our garden. All leaves were shorter than 5 cm and narrower than 2 cm, inflorescence with few heads. It matched very well with C. frustrata and the photograph uploaded by Girija ji from Delhi.
Your comments are solicited.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Vijayadas D

Nov 14, 2009, 12:46:48 AM11/14/09
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
I think this plant similiries with Eupatorium, is it right ?

VijayadasD
Horticulturalist / Estates Supervisor Deputy
Electro Saudi Services Ltd
Salwa Garden Village
Riyadh-11462,PBNO-7210
KSA
vijayadas.wetpaint.com

Ferns are funniest plants..............!!!!!

J.M. Garg

Nov 30, 2009, 4:20:03 AM11/30/09
to indiantreepix, Gurcharan Singh-sify, Tabish, Dinesh Valke, Vijayadas D, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar

Earlier relevant feedback:

[...]

“I think this plant similiries with Eupatorium, is it right ?” from Vijayadas ji. "

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Chronolaema-odorata-Delhi-3.jpg
Chronolaema-odorata-Delhi-1.jpg
Chronolaema-odorata-Delhi-2.jpg

Tabish

Nov 30, 2009, 4:29:30 AM11/30/09
to indiantreepix
I think this is Chromolaena odorata (Syn: Eupatorium odoratum)
It is cultivated as a medicinal plant and also planted as a hedge. Has
naturalized in India. Interestingly, it is called Communist Pacha in
Kerala.
Another anecdote is that Parthenium hysterophorus, called Gaajar-ghaas
in Delhi, is called Congress Weed (this was pointed out by Pankaj
Oudhia).
Looks like our political parties are like unavoidable weeds, which can
sometimes be put to some good use too! ;-)
- Tabish