Malvaceae week : Pterygota alata Syn. Sterculia alata

Satish Phadke

Sep 8, 2011, 10:57:37 AM9/8/11
to indiantreepix
Malvaceae week : Pterygota alata Syn. Sterculia alata
Earlier :Sterculiaceae
Buddha's coconut.
Observed in a private bungalow Pune. and also in Rani Bag Mumbai.
Flowers are polygamous. I think in one of my pictures both male and female flowers are visible.
Dr Phadke
DSCN9323.JPG
DSCN9289.JPG
DSCN9290.JPG
DSCN9292.JPG
DSCN9296.JPG
_MG_0903s.jpg
_MG_0902s.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 8, 2011, 12:28:00 PM9/8/11
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Nice photographs Satish ji
I have seen only one tree in Delhi University in vegetative condition.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Balkar Arya

Sep 8, 2011, 12:27:37 PM9/8/11
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Very Good series of Pics

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 8:27 PM, Satish Phadke <drsmp...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Ushadi micromini

Sep 8, 2011, 12:33:14 PM9/8/11
to efloraofindia
wow, nice pictures .. what time of the year was it.. I usually get to
see the empty open shell and few leaves emerging....
this is a very tall tree... so how did you manage...
usha di
=

On Sep 8, 9:27 pm, Balkar Arya <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Very Good series of Pics
>
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 8:27 PM, Satish Phadke <drsmpha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Malvaceae week : *Pterygota alata* Syn. *Sterculia alata*

Tanay Bose

Sep 8, 2011, 1:01:46 PM9/8/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Nice one we call it "Pagla gach" (mad tree in bengali) because its
heterogeneous leaf morphology.. have seen one in Indian Botanic garden
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

ushadi Micromini

Sep 8, 2011, 1:21:30 PM9/8/11
to Tanay Bose, efloraofindia
NA Tanay... Pagla gachh is a variant... of Pterygota alata... there is one in Kol Bot garden ( several baby trees too and one in the Hort... I am going to upload the one from Hort in a day or two....   the native pterygota alata is a very tall tree and is deciduous.. the variant Pagla one never looses all its leaves... that's a big difference...

Several native ones are in victoria memorial ... at least a hundred years old... and very tall.  without leaves provides a perch for now recovering population of the vultures in winter ... one year we volunteered to count them and their nesting pairs... may be i'll try and find the pictures and upload them....

Usha di
=====

Tanay Bose

Sep 8, 2011, 1:43:46 PM9/8/11
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks for correcting me Ushadi ji
Tanay

Madhuri Pejaver

Sep 8, 2011, 3:44:02 PM9/8/11
to indiantreepix, Satish Phadke
Beautiful collection you have Satishji
Madhuri

Ushadi micromini

Sep 9, 2011, 12:40:41 AM9/9/11
to efloraofindia
I looked at these pictures again... how do you tell which flower is
what .. girl or a boy flower?

usha di
====

On Sep 8, 7:57 pm, Satish Phadke <drsmpha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Malvaceae week : *Pterygota alata* Syn. *Sterculia alata*
> Earlier :Sterculiaceae
> Buddha's coconut.
> Observed in a private bungalow Pune. and also in Rani Bag Mumbai.
> Flowers are polygamous. I think in one of my pictures both male and female
> flowers are visible.
> Dr Phadke
>
>  DSCN9323.JPG
> 132KViewDownload