Re: [indiantreepix:7146] ¿ Swietenia mahagoni ?

Message has been deleted

vinod kumar gupta

Jan 5, 2009, 8:51:43 AM1/5/09
to Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
Too big a file size,Sir

Vinod

From: Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com>
To: Indian Tree Pix <indian...@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Monday, January 5, 2009 7:08:54 PM
Subject: [indiantreepix:7146] ¿ Swietenia mahagoni ?

Hello friends,

I am almost sure that this tree is Swietenia mahagoni.
Yet, please validate ... not sure how I can rule out S. macrophylla.

Attached 3 photos, just in case you would like some more views:

Regards.

Message has been deleted

Dinesh Valke

Jan 5, 2009, 8:54:39 AM1/5/09
to Indian Tree Pix
Apologies to all.
This blunder will not repeat.
Have I any way to delete this post ?
OR any moderator / administrator wipe this post.

I do not mind reconstructing the post.
Again, I stand corrected.
Regards.

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 7:22 PM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
in my haste, I forgot to put location.
I found these trees at Bassein fort (near Mumbai).

Regards.

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 7:19 PM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
... my own reasoning to rach out for S. mahagoni:
- flowers look relatively inconspicuous.
- the inflorescence seems to be thus lax
- the fresh leaves look bright green ... stupid reason - I have not seen how fresh leaves of S. macrophylla look like
- the bole is relatively shorter - I have read somewhere that S. macrophylla tends have a cleaner bole
- shorter bole, rounder canopy ... I do not know whether this makes sense.

Regards.

Dinesh Valke

Jan 5, 2009, 9:09:29 AM1/5/09
to Indian Tree Pix
Hello friends,
Inadvertently, I posted pictures without re-sizing them ... thanks to Vinod ji -- he was prompt enough to warn me.
... forgive me for messing up this post.

Re - posting the contents:

I am almost sure that this tree is Swietenia mahagoni.
Yet, please validate ... not sure how I can rule out S. macrophylla.

Attached 3 photos, just in case you would like some more views:

... my own reasoning to reach out for S. mahagoni:

 - flowers look relatively inconspicuous.
 - the inflorescence seems to be thus lax
 - the fresh leaves look bright green ... stupid reason -- I have not seen how fresh leaves of S. macrophylla look like

 - the bole is relatively shorter
 - I have read somewhere that S. macrophylla tends have a cleaner bole
 - shorter bole, rounder canopy ... I do not know whether this makes sense.

I found these Mahagony trees at Bassein fort (near Mumbai).
mahagony_canopy.jpg
mahagony_bark.jpg
mahagony.jpg

Kenneth Greby

Jan 5, 2009, 9:11:11 AM1/5/09
to Indian Tree Pix, Dinesh Valke
 Not Swietenia, which has evenly-pinnate foliage of darker green.

 This appears to possibly be Syzygium cumini.

Regards--
Ken Greby
Palmetto Bay, Florida USA

Dinesh Valke

Jan 5, 2009, 9:21:20 AM1/5/09
to fst...@yahoo.com, Indian Tree Pix
Hi Kenneth,

In the last photo attached, the rachis has lost one of its terminal leaflet.
A long shot of another mahagony tree in the same premises is attached here.

Regards.
mahagony_paripinnate.jpg

Kenneth Greby

Jan 5, 2009, 9:30:43 AM1/5/09
to Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
Thanks Dinesh--

  That does indeed look like Swietenia mahogani. S. macrophylla has leaves that are considerably larger, are a lighter green.

 Sorry for the misidentification earlier.

J.M. Garg

Jan 5, 2009, 9:32:50 AM1/5/09
to Barry Stock, Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
I seem to agree with Kenneth ji for it being Syzygium cumini

Dinesh Valke

Jan 5, 2009, 9:40:19 AM1/5/09
to J.M. Garg, Barry Stock, Indian Tree Pix
Hello Garg ji and Barry,

I urge you to take a look once again at the photos, especially other related views:

I have Syzygium cumini here;

Thanks and regards.

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 8:02 PM, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
I seem to agree with Kenneth ji for it being Syzygium cumini

2009/1/5 Barry Stock <barry...@gmail.com>
Here is a shot of Swietenia mahogany from my neighborhood (it is a Florida native tree):

-bs

On Jan 5, 2009, at 8:38 AM, Dinesh Valke wrote:

Hello friends,

I am almost sure that this tree is Swietenia mahagoni.
Yet, please validate ... not sure how I can rule out S. macrophylla.

Attached 3 photos, just in case you would like some more views:

Regards.

<mahagony_canopy.jpg><mahagony_bark.jpg><mahagony.jpg>

J.M. Garg

Jan 5, 2009, 9:43:11 AM1/5/09
to Barry Stock, Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
Hi, Dinesh ji,
I think you have posted two different trees: first six pictures at your posted link (http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=int&w=91314344@N00&q=Swieteniamahagoni&m=tags) appears to be of Syzygium cumini (& also three posted earlier in this post) & remaining five of Swietenia mahogany. Pl. confirm.

2009/1/5 J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com>
I seem to agree with Kenneth ji for it being Syzygium cumini

2009/1/5 Barry Stock <barry...@gmail.com>

Here is a shot of Swietenia mahogany from my neighborhood (it is a Florida native tree):

-bs

On Jan 5, 2009, at 8:38 AM, Dinesh Valke wrote:

Hello friends,

I am almost sure that this tree is Swietenia mahagoni.
Yet, please validate ... not sure how I can rule out S. macrophylla.

Attached 3 photos, just in case you would like some more views:

Regards.

<mahagony_canopy.jpg><mahagony_bark.jpg><mahagony.jpg>

With regards,
J.M.Garg
"We often ignore the beauty around us"

Dinesh Valke

Jan 5, 2009, 10:00:41 AM1/5/09
to J.M. Garg, Barry Stock, Indian Tree Pix, fst...@yahoo.com
Yes Garg ji, you are right about two lots of photos taken at different dates:
- Aug 15, 2007
- Jan 3, 2009
And I also need to tell you that each are trees, at two different places in the fort's premises.

Now I am feeling inclined to believe, rather am getting convinced about this being nothing but a jamun tree.
I have somehow mistaken it to be a Mahagony.

Ken, apologies for cross-referencing photos (I hope you understand my foolishness)
All went wrong that I considered Jan tree for a Mahagony.

Regards to all of you: Garg ji, Barry and Ken.
And lots of thanks too, for correcting me ( and remaining all the while, sane :D )

satish phadke

Jan 6, 2009, 9:50:35 AM1/6/09
to Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
Hi Dinesh
This is my perception about Sweitenia mahogani.
Its a tall tree...18-22m.
Bark rugose grey black.
Leaves paripinnate, Leaflets 2-4 pairs, 3-5cm long, opposite, base very oblique.(I know you do understand botanical meaning of oblique leaf).The upper surface of the leaves is dark blackish green while the under surface is paler.
Flowers greenish yellow,in axillary pendulous pannicles.
These features are seen in my attached pictures. Of course the full size view of my tree is not very pleasing and sorry I don't have the picture of the bark.
The leaf pattern in few of your pictures was that of Syzigium(No oblique leaves)
As regards S. macrophylla..........  I have seen only once and not from close but as the name suggests its leaflets are quite larger 6-12*4-5cm.Rest of the features are similar and probably the base of the leaflets not that oblique.
Please correct me if any information is wrong.
Satish

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com
Swetenia Mahogany 5.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jan 6, 2009, 10:00:03 AM1/6/09
to satish phadke, Indian Tree Pix
Thanks very very much Satish, especially for putting up the actual photo-shots.
That helps me (everyone) immensely.
Textual information is always welcome; particularly ID key features

Regards.

Kenneth Greby

Jan 6, 2009, 10:04:36 AM1/6/09
to Dinesh Valke, satish phadke, Indian Tree Pix
Satish--

 I am wondering if these photos show S. macrophylla rather than S. mahogani. S. mahogani is very common here in South Florida, USA, but S. macrophylla is rare, so I don't have too many local specimens for comparison. I can post pictures of local S. mahogani later for comparson to your photos.

Regards--
Ken Greby
Palmetto Bay, Florida USA

Jan 6, 2009, 10:15:16 AM1/6/09
to satish phadke, Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
I agree with Ken, this is S. macrophylla.

Flowers here:

-bs

<Swetenia Mahogany 5.jpg><Swetenia Mahogany 6.jpg><Swetenia Mahogany 7.jpg><Swetenia Mahogany 4.jpg>

satish phadke

Jan 6, 2009, 10:19:13 AM1/6/09
to fst...@yahoo.com, Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
Thanks Kenneth.
You may be right.
We had discussed this earlier also.
The visual impression often fails us.
After looking at your mail I measured the size of the leaflets of the twig which I had brought. and alas.........it is 4.5 cm by 12 cm. Which matches the description of S. macrophylla in Flora of Maharashtra by BSI.The corresponding size of S. mahogani has to be 3-4cm max.

2009/1/6 Kenneth Greby <fst...@yahoo.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

satish phadke

Jan 6, 2009, 10:20:27 AM1/6/09
to fst...@yahoo.com, Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
Thanks Barry.I agree.
Satish

2009/1/6 satish phadke <phadke...@gmail.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

Dinesh Valke

Jan 6, 2009, 10:25:22 AM1/6/09
to satish phadke, fst...@yahoo.com, Indian Tree Pix, barry...@gmail.com
Lots of thanks to everyone: Ken, Barry, Satish, and Garg ji.
This post enlightened as well as educated me.
Regards.