A publication from one of our members: Dr. Nudrat.

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 18, 2010, 1:12:56 PM12/18/10
to indiantreepix, itp...@googlegroups.com

Medicinal Plants:  A Holistic Approaches

Dr. Sayed Nudrat Zawar

ISBN: 978-93-80235-58-5

Details: 2011, xviii+ 600p.,figs.,tabls.,ind., 120 col.plts.,25cm

Price: INR 2950.00 USD 90.00

The present work traces the journey followed, giving a brief account of the contribution of all the major civilizations to the development of medicinal systems. The book further speaks about several prominent personalities of each medicinal system who helped in shaping the system. Each civilization recorded their medicinal knowledge in some or the other form that are called the ‘Herbals’. This work gives a compilation of herbals from the Mesopotamians until Renaissance period. Thus provides an insight into medicinal practices of each period. These herbals were the source of medicinal knowledge and were relied upon by medicinal practitioners until the nineteenth century.

Nineteenth century led to the discovery of substances such as alkaloids, glycosides, resins, volatile oils, gums, tannins, etc collectively called secondary metabolites. A small fraction of these constituents have been isolated and explored for their medicinal properties. Secondary metabolites is very vast topic hence, selected categories of secondary metabolites have been discussed. This book also discusses in brief, their biosynthesis along with their role as pharmaceuticals.

Though Allopathy remains as the mainstream in health care, herbal medicines have been main source of primary healthcare in many nations. These herbal medicines are the synthesis of therapeutic experiences of generations of practicing physicians of indigenous systems of medicine for over hundreds of years. Each country, each region, each tribe has their own traditional health care system. The practice, the belief and the basis of a few traditional systems, prevalent in each continent are discussed providing a brief insight into these traditional systems of medicine.

This book also includes monograph of 120 plants. Scientific data along with traditional uses are included in these monographs to highlight their usage as mainstream pharmaceuticals.

Chapter-1 : Herbal Medicine : Evolution of Medicine  and Human Society

Chapter-2 : History of Medicinal Systems: Development Down the Ages

Chapter-3 : Herbals: The Sources of Herbal Knowledge

Chapter-4 : Phytochemicals: Source of Novel Therapeutic Compounds

Chapter-5 : Traditional Medicine: Medicinal Systems  Prevalent Today

Chapter-6 : Monographs of Selected Plants

Glossary of Action

Terminologies

Colour Plates

       Bibliography

Book can be obtained from the following publisher:

SUMIT PAL  JAIN

NEW INDIA PUBLISHING AGENCY

101, Vikas Surya Plaza, CU Block

LSC market, Pitam Pura, New Delhi-88 (India)

Tel: +91-011-27341616, 1717

web: www.nipabooks.com

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 18, 2010, 1:15:18 PM12/18/10
to indiantreepix, itp...@googlegroups.com
Medicinal_Plants.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Dec 18, 2010, 1:28:21 PM12/18/10
to itp...@googlegroups.com, indiantreepix
Hearty congratulations and best wishes to Nudrat ji for her future endeavours.
Regards.

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 18, 2010, 1:32:49 PM12/18/10
to itp...@googlegroups.com, indiantreepix, Sayed Nudrat
Yeah I forgot to congratulate her too..

CONGRATULATIONS DOC....

Keep it up...and best wishes for all your work.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

tanay bose

Dec 18, 2010, 2:30:24 PM12/18/10
to itp...@googlegroups.com, indiantreepix, Sayed Nudrat
Best wishes to u
Tanay
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.
University of British Columbia .
3529-6270 University Blvd.
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
            604-822-2019 (Lab)

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 18, 2010, 7:53:49 PM12/18/10
to itp...@googlegroups.com, indiantreepix, Sayed Nudrat
Nudrat ji
Congratulations for this great work on Indian Medicinal plants.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Mahadeswara

Dec 18, 2010, 10:29:11 PM12/18/10
to efloraofindia
HEARTY CONGRATULATIONS TO NUDRAT JI

On Dec 18, 11:15 pm, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> -
>
>  Medicinal_Plants.jpg
> 310KViewDownload

J.M. Garg

Dec 19, 2010, 6:49:15 AM12/19/10
to itp...@googlegroups.com, indiantreepix
That's great!!! Our group has lot of hidden talents of which we only get a glimpse.
Congradulations, Nudrat ji,

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1475 members & 57,000 messages on 16/12/10 & with a database of around 4400 species on 30/11/10)

Satish Phadke

Dec 19, 2010, 6:49:42 AM12/19/10
to itp...@googlegroups.com, indiantreepix
We really appreciate your work Nudrat ji.
Thanks Pankaj ji for posting this info.
Dr Phadke

On 18 December 2010 23:42, Pankaj Kumar <sahani...@gmail.com> wrote:

Samir Mehta

Dec 19, 2010, 7:06:49 AM12/19/10
to efloraofindia
Congratulations and Best Wishes Nudrat ji.

Authoring / Editing a publication is a huge task, almost always
entailing spending spending long hours of 'personal time' and
energies, often over a considerable time period...and I say this based
on personal experience.

mainstream in health care, herbal medicines
have been main source of primary healthcare in many nations.' I wish
to state that many allopathic drugs are from plant extracts (Vinca
alkaloids, Taxol etc.), both land and marine.

All the very best Nudrat ji, for your publication and future
endeavors.

Regards,

Samir

-------------------------------
Dr. Samir Mehta
Mumbai

On Dec 18, 11:12 pm, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Medicinal Plants: * A Holistic Approaches
>
> *Dr. Sayed Nudrat Zawar*
>
> * *
>
> *ISBN: **978-93-80235-58-5*
>
> *Details: 2011, xviii+ 600p.,figs.,tabls.,ind., 120 col.plts.,25cm*
>
> *Price: INR 2950.00 USD 90.00*
> *Chapter-1 :* Herbal Medicine : Evolution of Medicine  and Human Society
>
> *Chapter-2 :* History of Medicinal Systems: Development Down the Ages
>
> *Chapter-3 :* Herbals: The Sources of Herbal Knowledge
>
> *Chapter-4 :* Phytochemicals: Source of Novel Therapeutic Compounds
>
> *Chapter-5 :* Traditional Medicine: Medicinal Systems  Prevalent Today
>
> *Chapter-6 :* Monographs of Selected Plants

mani nair

Dec 19, 2010, 8:09:13 AM12/19/10
to Samir Mehta, efloraofindia
Congratulations Nudrat ji,   you have done a great job.  Keep it up.
Regards,
Mani.

Ninad Raut

Dec 19, 2010, 1:58:37 PM12/19/10
to efloraofindia
Congratulation Dr. Nudrat and best wishes for such a good job in
future...

Regards
Ninad

On Dec 19, 6:09 pm, mani nair <mani.na...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Congratulations Nudrat ji,   you have done a great job.  Keep it up.
> Regards,
> Mani.
>
> > > Tel:+91-011-27341616begin_of_the_skype_highlighting            +91-011-27341616      end_of_the_skype_highlighting, 1717
>
> > > web:www.nipabooks.com

Nudrat

Dec 20, 2010, 12:39:18 PM12/20/10
to efloraofindia
Heartfelt Thanks to all. I am really touched by all your good wishes.