commemorative specific name: mukorossi

Dinesh Valke

Dec 31, 2008, 4:45:43 AM12/31/08
to Indian Tree Pix
Hello friends,
Any idea whom is the epithet mukorossi commemorated to ?
(most probably is some great foreign personality residing in India during the British regime)
The internet did not help me !!
Thanks and regards.

Max Overton

Dec 31, 2008, 7:51:46 AM12/31/08
to Indian tree pics
Interesting!

The Japanese name for Soapberry, Sapindus mukorossi is Mukuroji, and they have been using soapberry for over a thousand years. I'm not sure of the plant's distribution, but could a botanist have used a Japanese plant to describe it originally and adapted the local common name Mukuroji into the specific name mukorossi?

Then again, I could be way off the mark and it is only the 'recent' name in Japan, named after the specific name of the soapberry.

I, too, could find nothing definite on the Internet.

Cheers,
Max

Novels by Max and/or Ariana Overton (www.maxoverton.com)

The Lion of Scythia Trilogy - EPPIE winners 2005 and 2006
The Glass House Trilogy (Eppie finalists), A Cry of Shadows, The Devil is in the Details,  Trapdoor, Tapestry
Scarab - Akhenaten (Book 1 of the Amarnan Kings), Scarab - Smenkhkare (Book 2 of the Amarnan Kings),
Scarab - Tutankhamen (Book 3 of the Amarnan Kings), Rakshasa, Glass Continuum, Ascension
Works in Progress: Scarab - Ay, and Scarab - Horemheb (Books 4 & 5 of the Amarnan Kings), Djinn

Dinesh Valke

Dec 31, 2008, 8:21:19 AM12/31/08
to Max Overton, Indian tree pics
Thanks a lot for the quick response, Max.
I had noticed mukuroji at NPGS / GRIN [ http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?33087 ]
... I did not quite understand what transcribed Japanese meant.
Your informative response helped.
Thanks and cheers !!
- Dinesh