Acacia (Wattle) for identification 180811MK01

Muthu Karthick

Aug 18, 2011, 12:58:35 AM8/18/11
to efloraofindia
Dear all,
Please help me to identify this tree. The characteristic feature of this is the green stem (IMG_3572). Height of the tree was about 3-4 metres.
Is this Black Wattle (Acacia mearnsii)? according to the following discussions., https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/db9358ce2d6a47e9/4309bb735c99a847?hl=en#4309bb735c99a847

Date: 25 Jan 2011
Place: Ooty, Nilgiris, TN
Habitat: Garden

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 0091 96268 33911
www.careearthtrust.org

IMG_3575.JPG
IMG_3570.JPG
IMG_3571.JPG
IMG_3572.JPG
IMG_3573.JPG
IMG_3574.JPG

Muthu Karthick

Aug 18, 2011, 1:01:31 AM8/18/11
to efloraofindia
Sorry for the mix-up. IMG_3573-75 are not the parts of plant posted.
IMG_3575.JPG
IMG_3570.JPG
IMG_3571.JPG
IMG_3572.JPG

Mahadeswara

Aug 18, 2011, 8:06:17 AM8/18/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Muthuji,
Please check for the following characters for A.decurrens:
Bark smooth to deeply fissured, brown or dark grey to blackish;
branchlets angled with winged ridges which are decurrent with the
petioles, glabrous or sparsely hairy with minute appressed hairs.
If the characters are not compatible, it could be A.mearnsii only.
In Ooty both the species A.mearnsii and A.decurrence are available.
A.mearnsii is cultivated on commercial scale for the preparation of
the wattle extract , which is called the tanner's gold.
Infact, I collected the barks of both the species/ specimen for
phytochemical studies and preparation of tannin extracts, long
back . Unable to trace out the taxonomical details of the species
from my records.

Leaves with petiole 0.7–2.8 cm long, 1 gland at base of or to c. 7 mm
below lowest pair of pinnae

On Aug 18, 9:58 am, Muthu Karthick <nmk....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> Please help me to identify this tree. The characteristic feature of this is
> the green stem (IMG_3572). Height of the tree was about 3-4 metres.
> Is this Black Wattle (*Acacia mearnsii*)? according to the following
> discussions.,https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/db...
>
> https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/db...
>
> Date: 25 Jan 2011
> Place: Ooty, Nilgiris, TN
> Habitat: Garden
>
> --
> Muthu Karthick, N
> Care Earth Trust
> #15, second main road,
> Thillai ganga nagar,
> Chennai - 600 061
> Mob: 0091 96268 33911www.careearthtrust.org
>
>  IMG_3575.JPG
> 167KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_3570.JPG
> 209KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_3571.JPG
> 231KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_3572.JPG
> 278KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_3573.JPG
> 156KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_3574.JPG
> 195KViewDownload

J.M. Garg

Nov 12, 2011, 12:30:01 AM11/12/11
to efloraofindia, M Swamy, npba...@gmail.com, vsrb...@gmail.com, brsp...@gmail.com, maha...@gmail.com, kalida...@gmail.com, altha...@gmail.com, sasib...@gmail.com, Muthu Karthick

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Sorry for the mix-up. IMG_3573-75 are not the parts of plant posted.”  from Muthu ji.

"Dear  Muthuji,
Please check for the following characters for A.decurrens: Bark smooth to deeply fissured, brown or dark grey to blackish;
branchlets angled with winged ridges which are decurrent with the petioles, glabrous or sparsely hairy with minute appressed hairs.
If the characters are not compatible, it could be A.mearnsii only. In Ooty both the species A.mearnsii and A.decurrence are available.
A.mearnsii is cultivated on commercial scale for the preparation of the wattle extract , which is called the tanner's gold.
 Infact, I collected the barks of both the species/ specimen   for phytochemical studies and preparation of tannin extracts,  long
back .  Unable to trace out the  taxonomical details of the species from my records.
Leaves with petiole 0.7–2.8 cm long, 1 gland at base of or to c. 7 mm below lowest pair of pinnae" from Mahadeswara ji.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1740 members & 90,000 messages on 31/10/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 6000 species).

IMG_3575.JPG
IMG_3570.JPG
IMG_3571.JPG
IMG_3572.JPG
IMG_3573.JPG
IMG_3574.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 24, 2011, 2:52:29 AM12/24/11
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Mahadeswara, ajinkya gadave

Forwarding again for Id confirmation or otherwise please.

[...]

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Sep 19, 2021, 7:30:10 AM9/19/21
to Muthu Karthick, efloraofindia
Acacia mearnsii as per images and details herein.