Names of plants in India - mini lexique

OZmic

May 20, 2012, 4:32:39 AM5/20/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
It would be useful to every one to have a kind of mini lexique covering the basic words which can be found in plant names. Something like this:
ASSAMESE:
BENGALI :
ENGLISH : 1.Leaf, 2. leaves, 3 flower, 4. fruit, 5. tree
GUJARATI :
HINDI :  1. , 2. फूल  phula, 3. , 4. फल  phala  5. पेड़ per
KANNADA :
MALAYALAM :
MARATHI :
NEPALI :
ORIYA :
PUNJABI :
SANSKRIT :
TAMIL : 1.,  2. இலைகள் ilaikal, 3 மலர் , 4. பழம் palam, 5. மரம் maram
TELUGU :
URDU :
+ Any other language.
Basic colors as well or combinations such as red-leaved, green-leaved, blue-flowered, white-flowered etc.
Your imagination is the limit. They must be name components that are common in plant names however.
I leave this basic idea with you all.
Thanks
Mic

OZmic

May 21, 2012, 2:19:49 AM5/21/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Here are comments, made elsewhere by Usha di and Dr Pankaj Kumar, relevant here.
"Pata is leaves, used/cooked/eaten anyway one likes when buying or collecting."
" "pata" means leaf."

"shak is leaves and stems together  in colloquial use... mostly used to denote the vegetable (food) like potential of the greens".
" "sak" or "shak" means branches" (ie leaves + stem or twigs)

jmgarg1

May 27, 2012, 12:07:56 PM5/27/12
to efloraofindia

Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

surajit koley

May 27, 2012, 1:44:59 PM5/27/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir,

Very interesting, is it something like the following?-

ASSAMESE:
BENGALI : 1. পাতা (PATA), 2. পাতাগুলি (PATAGULI / PATAGULO), 3.ফুল (PHOOL), 4. ফল (PHAL), 5. গাছ (GACH), 5A. ঝোপ-ঝাড় (JHOP-JHAR = herb, shrub, undergrowth), 5B. গুঁড়ি (GUNRI = tree trunk), 5C. ডালপালা (DALPALA = branches), 4A. কাঁচা (KANCHA = unripe/green fruit), 4B. পাকা (PAKA = ripe fruit), 4C. কচি (KOCHI = immature fruit), 3A. কুঁড়ি (KUNRI = flower bud)

ENGLISH : 1.Leaf, 2. leaves, 3 flower, 4. fruit, 5. tree
GUJARATI :
HINDI :  1. , 2. फूल  phula, 3. , 4. फल  phala  5. पेड़ per
KANNADA :
MALAYALAM :
MARATHI :
NEPALI :
ORIYA :
PUNJABI :
SANSKRIT :
TAMIL : 1.,  2. இலைகள் ilaikal, 3 மலர் , 4. பழம் palam, 5. மரம் maram
TELUGU :
URDU :
+ Any other language.

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

ayush

May 27, 2012, 2:09:06 PM5/27/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com

TELUGU : 1.Leaf - ఆకు (Aaku), 2. Leaves - ఆకులు (Aakulu), 3 Flower: పువ్వు (Puvvu), flowers పూలు Poolu, పుష్పములు Pushpamulu, 4. Fruit - పండు Pandu, Fruits పండ్లు Pandlu, 5. Tree - చెట్టు Chettu, మ్రాను Mraanu, Trees - చెట్లు Chetlu,

Tamil: Leaf - இலை - ILAI, 3. Flower- மலர் - Malar, பூ Poo

D. Radha Krishna Reddy

--------------------------

OZmic

May 27, 2012, 5:14:26 PM5/27/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
YES, YES Thanks Surajit ji and Ayush. Keep them coming. WE will soon have to draw a large table to accommodate all contributions.
The purpose of having these key words / name components is to be able to check our names without having to ask every minute native speakers how to spell this or that. Right Usha di ?
Regards to all
Mic

surajit koley

May 27, 2012, 9:32:53 PM5/27/12
to OZmic, indian...@googlegroups.com
Good morning Sir.

Hope this lexicon gets compiled as soon as possible.

Regards,

surajit

Dinesh Valke

May 27, 2012, 11:37:27 PM5/27/12
to surajit koley, OZmic, indian...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks Mic for taking efforts in gathering these meanings.
Me too have thought of making page(s) that would list the important and recurring "prefixes and suffixes" ... but I am yet far away from this exercise.
Thank you very much all for coming forward with these simple yet important part of the names in their native scripts.

Regards.
Dinesh

OZmic

May 28, 2012, 4:02:16 PM5/28/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, OZmic
I also hope this gets done but I "walk slowly" when I don't exercise, I live at a normal pace. I am reminded of the American saying "don't ask what your country can do for you but what you can do for it" or words to that effect.
You have done a brilliant job Surajit ji, thank you on behalf of the group. Now we have to wait for other contributors to fill the blanks in other languages.
I wished I had such a tool 15 years ago, let's hope we don't have to wait this long. I'll prepare a table in the next few hours. Come on folks give us some words ... or tell us where we can find them easily.
Let us do a better job than all the WWW automatic robots which are great at translating words but not so great with plant names.
Cheers
Mic

surajit koley

May 28, 2012, 9:45:04 PM5/28/12
to OZmic, indian...@googlegroups.com
Good morning OZmic Ji.
It was my duty towards the group and and the list is not an exhaustive one, would add a few more words this evening. Thank you.
Regards,
surajit

ayush

May 29, 2012, 2:17:04 AM5/29/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Malayalam: 1.Leaf - ഇല ILA, 2. Leaves - ഇലകള്‍ ILAKAL, 3 Flower: പൂവ്‌ Poovu, flowers പൂവുകള്‍ Poovukal; 4. Fruit - പഴം Pazham, Fruits പഴങ്ങള്‍ Pazhangal, 5. Tree - - മരം maram, Trees: മരങ്ങള്‍ marangal, Plant - ചെടി chedi; Plants: ചെടികള്‍ - Chedikal; Root: വേര് Ver‍; Roots: വേരുകള്‍ verukal,

Credit to my collegue: Mr. B. Remanan Pillai

OZmic

May 29, 2012, 3:28:22 AM5/29/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to all. I am posting in a separate entry the whole table so far. Mic

surajit koley

May 29, 2012, 12:14:49 PM5/29/12
to OZmic, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear OZmic Sir,

Some more here -

  • for plural of any common noun we use গুলো (GULO) = গুলি (GULI), eg. পাতাগুলো = leaves, গাছগুলি = trees/shrubs/herbs
  • লতা (LATA) = creeper / climber
  • ­বঁ টা (BONTA ) = stalk of leaf/flower/fruit
  •  গাছ (GACH) = tree/shrub/herb
  • শেকড় (SHEKAR) = শিকড় (SHIKAR) = root
  • ডগা (DOGA) = young/apical shoot
  • লাল (LAL) = red, নীল (NIL) = blue, সবুজ (SABUJ) = green, হলদে (HALDE) = হলুদ (HALUD) = yellow, কমলা (KAMOLA) = orange, গোলাপী (GOLAPI) = pink, বেগুনি (BEGUNI) = violet/purple
  • to express light shade of any color, we use হালকা (HALKA) or চে (CHE), eg., হালকা লাল = লালচে = light red = reddish
  • বৌল (BOUL) = বউল (BOUL) = inflorescence / buds
That's all for tonight....

Thank you & Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

May 29, 2012, 3:19:42 PM5/29/12
to efloraofindia

Please read stalk of leaf/flower/fruit = বোঁ টা (BONTA)

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

jmgarg1

Jun 9, 2012, 9:54:47 AM6/9/12
to efloraofindia
Forwarding again for any assistance inthe matter please.

Jun 9, 2012, 1:17:20 PM6/9/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia
Garg Sir,

Some more in Bengali -
  • আগাছা (AGACHA) = weed
  • পরগাছা (PARGACHA / PAROGACHA) = parasitic plant, hemiparasites
  • রোঁয়া (RNOA) = hairy / pubescent
  • মসৃণ (MASRIN/MOSRIN) = glabrous
  • তেলা (TELA) = oily/waxy
  • চকচকে (CHOKCHOKE) = shiny/reflecting light
  • হরহরে (HARHARE) = slimy/mucus/mucuoid
  • ভেষজ (VESHAJ / BHESHAJ) = medicinal
  • সব্জি (SOBJI) = vegetables
  • শাক (SHAK) = leafy vegetables
  • শাক-সব্জি (SHAKSOBJI) = all vegetables
  • শস্য (SHASYA) = grains/cereals/pulses
  • সস্য (SASYA) = endosperm
  • চাল (CHAL) = rice
  • ধান (DHAN) = paddy
  • ডাল (DAL) = pulses
  • গম (GAM) = wheat
  • আটা (AATAA) = flour
  • আঠা (AATHA) = gum, plant or synthetic
  • শুকনো (SHUKNO) = dry, eg. শুকনো ফল = dry fruit
  • ভিজে (BHIJE / VIJE) = wet
  • ছাল (CHAL) = bark/skin
  • শাঁশ (SHANSH / SHANS) = flesh/endocarp
  • রস (RAS) = juice
  • রসালো (RASAALO) = juicy, eg. রসালো ফল = juicy/fleshy fruit
Regards,

Surajit Koley