Grass for identification

Sid

Jul 19, 2010, 5:44:09 AM7/19/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Friends,

Can you identify this common grass for me.

Thanks,
sid.
plant3.jpg
plant3a.jpg

nivi tha

Jul 19, 2010, 7:09:24 AM7/19/10
to Sid, efloraofindia

Is it  Elusine?

tanay bose

Jul 19, 2010, 2:19:39 PM7/19/10
to nivi tha, Sid, efloraofindia
Yes this is Eleusine indica
Tanay

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 4:39 PM, nivi tha <neva...@gmail.com> wrote:

Is it  Elusine?

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

tanay bose

Jul 20, 2010, 12:00:02 AM7/20/10
to Sid, efloraofindia

Dear Sid Ji,

A very good question and I personally appreciate your keen observation. The reason why you observed the lower portion of the inflorescence being broader that the apical region is because in Elusine indica the inflorescence is raceme (racemose inflorescence).

A racemose inflorescence has an active growing region at the tip of its main axis, and bears flowers along its length; the oldest flowers are found near the base or, in cases where the inflorescence is flattened, towards the outside. Hence the flowers at the base has already opened as they older hence look bit broader while the flowers at the apical region are young and still in a compact bud condition hence thinner.

Hope this answers your query. If you have anything more please feel free to ask.

Regards

Tanay

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 7:09 AM, Sid <sid...@gmail.com> wrote:
Nivi ji and Tanay ji, thanks for the idenentification. But the spike is narrower at the top than in the bottom isn't it ?