Beauty of Butea

Pravin Kawale

Jan 28, 2010, 12:20:25 AM1/28/10
to efloraofindia
Hi,
Today at Sagaergad,Alibag
Butea monosperma
Thanks

DSC01239.JPG
DSC01240.JPG
DSC01250.JPG
DSC01258.JPG

DSC01239.JPG
DSC01240.JPG
DSC01250.JPG
DSC01258.JPG

R. Vijayasankar

Jan 28, 2010, 12:30:32 AM1/28/10
to Pravin Kawale, efloraofindia
Beautiful pics, Pravin ji. I can't guess if the sunbird is happy in harvesting nectar or sad seeing new fruits started coming that shows ending of flowering season.

does anyone know why out of six ovules in the fruit only one develops as seed (monosperma)?

With regards

R. Vijayasankar
FRLHT, Bangalore

Pinki

Jan 29, 2010, 1:01:11 AM1/29/10
to efloraofindia
really beautiful clicks Pravin Ji. i was always baffled for an angle
for the photograph of Butea in which all its beauty is captured with
all its botanical description. you hint it Pravin Ji. thanks for these
mesmerizing photos esp DSC01239 and DSC 01240...

Alok

On Jan 27, 9:30 pm, "R. Vijayasankar" <vijay.botan...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Beautiful pics, Pravin ji. I can't guess if the sunbird is happy in
> harvesting nectar or sad seeing new fruits started coming that shows ending
> of flowering season.
>
> does anyone know why out of six ovules in the fruit only one develops as
> seed (monosperma)?
>

> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Pravin Kawale <kawale.pra...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> > Today at Sagaergad,Alibag
> > Butea monosperma
> > Thanks
>
> > DSC01239.JPG
> > DSC01240.JPG
> > DSC01250.JPG
> > DSC01258.JPG
>
> > These pictures were sent with Picasa, from Google.
> > Try it out here:http://picasa.google.com/

J.M. Garg

Feb 26, 2010, 7:02:20 AM2/26/10
to efloraofindia, Pravin Kawale, Vijayasankar Raman, satish pardeshi, Gurcharan Singh-sify

Forwarding again for any feedback on:

"does anyone know why out of six ovules in the fruit only one develops as seed (monosperma)?" from Vijayasankar ji.

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

DSC01239.JPG
DSC01240.JPG
DSC01250.JPG
DSC01258.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 26, 2010, 7:31:21 AM2/26/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Pravin Kawale, Vijayasankar Raman, satish pardeshi, Gurcharan Singh-sify
Vijaysankar ji
Perhaps this paper should be useful in your inquest:

Here is the portion that I found relevant:

"Several factors may be responsible for the low fruit set in B. monosperma under open-pollination. Obviously, limitationof compatible pollen is one factor. However, even in manual cross-pollinations, fruit set was only increased to 23·32 %,indicating that there are additional constraints for fruit set which have not been investigated.

Although there are four or five ovules in each ovary of B. monosperma, only one ovule, usually the one located closest to the style, develops into the seed. In Dalbergia sissoo (Mohan Raju et al., 1996) and Syzigium cumini(Krishnamurthy et al., 1997), in which a single seed is predominantly formed, abortion of other seeds has been reported to be caused by the production of a chemical of indole nature, such as 4-chloroindoleacetic acid. This aspect has not been investigated in B. monosperma."

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Yazdy Palia

Feb 26, 2010, 10:35:42 AM2/26/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Pravin Kawale, Vijayasankar Raman, satish pardeshi, Gurcharan Singh-sify
Hello Friends,
This appears to be The flame of the forest. Please check the following link.
http://www.indianetzone.com/4/flame_forest.htm
Regards
Yazdy Palia.

R. Vijayasankar

Feb 28, 2010, 10:14:33 AM2/28/10
to Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Pravin Kawale, satish pardeshi, Gurcharan Singh-sify
Thanks a lot Gurcharan ji, for the effort and info. Yes i think it is an intrinsic genetic factor that determines seed setting in the species. (a natural population control, in plants?!!!). I also think since the pod is with single seed, the basal part of the pod acts as a wing to carry the seed away from mother plant to avoid overcrowding of seedlings around the mother tree. Needs study!